New to hunting looking for someone to show me the ropes

Mason

Mar 30, 2018
I am new to hunting since growing up in a strictly anti gun house. I am looking for someone that is willing to show me the ropes on hunting specially around the riverside area or close to that. With an emphasis on upland game with maybe a jump to waterfowl and big game later down the line. I have been reading around and it seams that french valley is the closest place for me but I would love advise on a better place to learn and gain knowledge.

Hi Mason

A little more about you would be helpful.
Have you had firearms safety lessons?
Have you taken hunter safety class.
Do you have all the equipment needed.
Do you spend time and money out on the field.
Welcome to SCH.

I have all my licencing, I have a versa max shotgun, I have tried to look at some places around me but I'm not really sure what I am looking at most of the time or searching for. Also I am not sure exactly what other equipment I need since this will be my first season hunting.

I am new to hunting since growing up in a strictly anti gun house. I am looking for someone that is willing to show me the ropes on hunting specially around the riverside area or close to that. With an emphasis on upland game with maybe a jump to waterfowl and big game later down the line. I have been reading around and it seams that french valley is the closest place for me but I would love advise on a better place to learn and gain knowledge.

welcome to the pro gun side of the world. Lots of good guys here just read alot and offer up all the info and appreciation you can. also get out in the field and let us know how it went

I would suggest to shoot Clay's pigeons at the gun range to get some practice. Also so you can meet people, Keep asking questions on this board. Research all the previous questions and answers.

Some of the other hunters in you area will surely chim in.

Mason,

Welcome to SCH....Lots of great guys that will help you out....Just ask questions.

San Jacinto Wildlife Area can't be very far from you....It has dove and waterfowl hunting....Good place to hang around and this Saturday there's a work party on the area....Great time to meet like minded folks and learn some spots on the area.

Being in Riverside, you're not that far from the Imperial Co.....Lots of upland opportunities and of course waterfowl hunting on Wister W.A. (also dove, but you do need steel shot for any W.A).

Another place to hang out is Bass Pro Shop....Always lots of guys going there that are willing to talk hunting & fishing....Get to know some of the employees (ask for Brian C.).

If you decide you want to try turkey hunting....We have a spring Turkey Tune-Up here in San Diego....Again, great place to meet fellow hunters.

Last thing.....Join the NRA, National Wild Turkey Federation, California Waterfowl Assoc. etc....They have magazines that have a great tips and knowledge....It will give you insight of what us hunters are going thru to keep our hunting heritage.

Steve

Thanks everyone I used to live in Pomona so I visited Prado often with some buddies for practice.

ilovesprig where and when is the meetup in San Diego?

Welcome. I don't know much about Riverside but I'd recommend first getting OnXMaps and some hard copies of NF and BLM lands so you know what's legal. Then, get out there and scout. For upland I assume you mean quail and rabbits... I'd focus on oak woodland and riparian habitats intermixed with sagebrush, or high desert scrub. For mountain quail head to the pine forests, where grasslands abut timber. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone I used to live in Pomona so I visited Prado often with some buddies for practice.

ilovesprig where and when is the meetup in San Diego?

The spring tune-up is in February...The monthly meetings are on the 4th Tuesday of the month (August 28th) in Poway.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu