New to Hunting New to Supplies

Hunt&Done

Apr 23, 2019
Hello everyone! I'm just starting getting into hunting this season and was wondering what kind of gear everyone suggests/uses.
The firearm(s) and ammos I have down as those seem easier to research but when it comes down to scopes, range finders, bino packs, knives, camo apparel, scent blockers, calls, etc.,
it's like a whole 'nother level of studying. I just want to see what kind of playing field I should be in so as much input as you can feed me, the better I'll be for the coming months.

Reactions: Zak and Moves
WELCOME. it depends on what your pocket book will allow. You will find cheap and expensive on this site. Best way to go about it is find a couple things then post for people who have it and use it.
We will let you know if its junk or if it works. GOOD LUCK

Buy this book, great info on big game hunting including breaking down all the gear / options / methods. He also has a small game one too.

x2!

That's a steal for $10! Buy both volumes for that price. I highly recommend those books as well. Also check out camofire.com for daily deals. I found my Alps outdoorz pursuit pack for $50..pretty solid pack so far. I've also found good deals on camo clothes at walmart.com. I'm always on the look out for deals..hunting gets expensive real quick so take some time do a little research and you can get started for relatively cheap.

Hi Hunt&Done,

What gear do you already have?
Bushnell pacifica 10x50 Bino, mossy oak real tree underarmour camo, Ithaca hunting boots, Mardingtop internal frame backpack, rustic ridge frame back pack (frame only)....any thoughts on what I have so far?

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Good boots, good glass and a good tripod. Best you can afford. 12 power on up goes on the tripod. Spend lots of time glassing. Do more of that than walking to see animals.

My .02

I use Crispi Boots, Vanguard tripods and Higher end Vortex optics. If budget allowed I would have some Swaros..

Gun is further down the list. Ruger American (Many good calibers) shoots well without breaking the bank if you have a budget (We all do, just to differing degrees..)

Went through many boots and tripods, tripod heads, etc. until I came up with WHAT WORKS BEST FOR ME. That is the key.....

Whatever you do...dont spend all your time over analyzing every possibilty/scenario that may or may not arise...spend your spare time on the mountain..not the internet..from what you have posted above..your gear is fine...post um when you kill um. And welcone.

If can, I'd invest in boots and glass. Everything else yeah it's nice to have the best stuff, but what's on your feet for miles of trekking and what you're looking through to find deer will make or break a hunt IMO.

Speaking specifically to the gear you listed: bino harness I love my Kuiu.. knives I carry a Havalon but also carry a mini saw for cutting thru pelvis.. boots I love my Kenetreks. What else..

Off season? What off season? Lol

What kind of hunting do you plan to do Hunt&done? You looking for cheapest, best bang for your buck or top of the line stuff? I agree with what has been said here. Boots and glass are important ones and I have learned that a backpack can be another very important one depending on the kind of hunting you do. Definitely buy that book, it’s a good one. And I also agree not to over think stuff. There is so much information out there these days it makes it seem like every purchase is life or death. I’m a perfectionist and love efficiency so I have to reel myself in sometimes too.

Over time you will find out what works for you and what doesn’t, but don’t feel like you have to have the perfect kit right off the bat. Sounds like you are just getting your basics covered which is perfect. I have been through a lot of gear over the years and the only thing that helped me learn what I like was putting in miles in the field. Internet research works as a starting point though.

Buying used gear on sites like rockslide.com has been a blessing. If you don’t like it you can generally resell it and only be out shipping costs.

I always suggest that newbies getting into hunting spend as much time in the field as they can before getting too wrapped up in the gear game. But if you have any questions on specific items, feel free to ask away. Plenty of opinions here I’m sure.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu