New to hunting SD County

buckhunter20275

Aug 4, 2018
Im a 35 years old male, active duty military. I have been hunting the past 20 years. I know what i doing but new to california and wanting to hunt with someone that knows the area and that is willing to show me the ropes.

Last edited by a moderator:
onx and google street view can help with finind access and getting a baseline knowledge of the area.
here and d16 ive learned that public land is very spotty and one must know where they stand.
sources like OnX and the CNF map have helped me with getting antiquated witgh the area.

As far as hunting. hunting is hunting but here in california its kinda dry, so WATER is gold.
pin creeks, springs, and lakes then do some scouting to confirm that there is water.

good luck!

BH 20275,

Welcome to SCH....Like what has been mentioned.....OnXMaps, Google Earth, and CNF maps will get you plenty of places to hunt.....Camp Pendleton has a hunting program you should check out too.....What kind of game are you looking for?

Thank you for your service.

BH 20275,

Welcome to SCH....Like what has been mentioned.....OnXMaps, Google Earth, and CNF maps will get you plenty of places to hunt.....Camp Pendleton has a hunting program you should check out too.....What kind of game are you looking for?

Thank you for your service.
Looking for deer. I got an AO tag today. I was little late getting a tag.

First of all thank you for your service.
I'm also new to hunting in CA since I'm from NY but I'm looking to team up with a buddy to do some scouting and hunting.
None of my buddies here in CA hunt so I figured I'd reach out for a hunting buddy.
I have a public spot in San Diego that I'm looking to scout and hunt, borders BLM.
Let me know if you're interested in getting out there with a partner, I'm a 49 year old male, been hunting since I was 15.

Welcome to the form! For Camp Pendleton Go to the game warden office on base they’re open on Friday closed Monday to Thursday. Your AO tag will let you hunt on base but you need a SUV or a truck. Bring your tag and pay the 20 cash hunting fee. Then show up at the office around 3 to 4 am Saturday or Sunday and get in line as it’s first come first serve. Check their page for more info or pm me. Oh by the way they are holding a lotto on the 6th of October for left over G10 tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also new to hunting in CA since I'm from NY but I'm looking to team up with a buddy to do some scouting and hunting.
None of my buddies here in CA hunt so I figured I'd reach out for a hunting buddy.
I have a public spot in San Diego that I'm looking to scout and hunt, borders BLM.
Let me know if you're interested in getting out there with a partner, I'm a 49 year old male, been hunting since I was 15.
It would be great to meet up and do some hinting and scouting. Do you have a tag yet, are youbrifle hunting or bow.

It would be great to meet up and do some hinting and scouting. Do you have a tag yet, are youbrifle hunting or bow.

I was late in applying for a deer tag so I didn't get one this year for the D16 Zone but wanted to get out there and do some coyote, turkey, rabbit, quail, and dove hunting (not all at the same time lol)...would definitely like to hit some areas to scout.
I bow hunt as well as rifle, not sure if I'll do any deer hunting this year since the tags in my area are sold out. I live in Lake Forest and I can probably get the D15 deer tag but I hear the Cleveland National Forest is very thick and very tough to hunt. I haven't scouted the CNF yet which may or may not be worth doing since I hear it tends to get very crowded too. I hear the Angeles National Forest might be worth checking out too.

Archery Only (AO) is still available.. good for bowhunting bucks down here during general season.

Yeah, I'll pick up an AO tag and get out there. Thanks for the feedback.

What's up guys I'm 30yrs old and I live in San Diego born and raised but I've never been hunting before and have been wanting to try my hand at it. I got my hunting license this year and was able get a D16 deer tag I also purchased a wild pig tag even tho I hear there's not many in the area and my upland game bird tag. I want to get OnX maps but going out I really wouldn't know what to look for when scouting. I'm a rifle hunter but also interested in learning to shoot a compound bow. I also plan to get a shotgun later this year to hopefully do some turkey hunting next spring.

If anyone is interested in doing some scouting / hunting together and help show me tips I'd be game..

Reactions: longbowhunter2
H-619,

Welcome to SCH....Everyone has to start somewhere....Attending a NWTF meeting, going to a wildlife area work party, or Quail Forever work party would be a good start to meet some like minded folks.

Read the regulations on what ever you're hunting....They can be confusing and the penalties for doing something wrong can be very unforgiving....Ask lots of questions and people here on SCH will try to help you the best we can.

Steve

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
What's up guys I'm 30yrs old and I live in San Diego born and raised but I've never been hunting before and have been wanting to try my hand at it. I got my hunting license this year and was able get a D16 deer tag I also purchased a wild pig tag even tho I hear there's not many in the area and my upland game bird tag. I want to get OnX maps but going out I really wouldn't know what to look for when scouting. I'm a rifle hunter but also interested in learning to shoot a compound bow. I also plan to get a shotgun later this year to hopefully do some turkey hunting next spring.

If anyone is interested in doing some scouting / hunting together and help show me tips I'd be game..

Hey what's up Horto, let's see what we can set up this year. I'll PM you to see if we could work something out.

H-619,

Welcome to SCH....Everyone has to start somewhere....Attending a NWTF meeting, going to a wildlife area work party, or Quail Forever work party would be a good start to meet some like minded folks.

Read the regulations on what ever you're hunting....They can be confusing and the penalties for doing something wrong can be very unforgiving....Ask lots of questions and people here on SCH will try to help you the best we can.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve! I am definitely going to look into becoming a NWTF member. I appreciate the info, I'm really glad to have found a place with people willing to share their advice.

I'd be willing to help you out but with my work schedule these days, getting out this season will be few and far between. Give me a text if you need any intel. 808 989 5609 Jason

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your service & to give us our freedom to hunt. Pm me with your number . I would be more than happy to help you out if it be bow or rifle hunting.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Good to see the younger guys
Here work with each other.
Good luck and good fortune.
To be successful in southern Cal
It requires lots of deep hiking.
I can no longer do that.
Keep me mind in the future.
If I can work it out.
Best to all
Longbow

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu