New to hunting what license do I need

Buboy538

Mar 3, 2021
Hi all, just a question I’m getting in to bow hunting and just hunting in general. My question is do I need the BowHunter-Ed cert or do I need the hunters- Ed cert? I plan on mainly bow hunting but also want to do rifle. Not sure if I need to do both or if one covers it all.

Your hunters education class will cover these questions. You can not hunt in CA. without the class.....Have fun.

The bow hunter ed course for me, was VHS tapes, book's and boots. Long before the internet or any classes.

Reactions: Cut ‘Em
Copy that I took both the hunters course and the bow hunters and want to know if it’s worth it to spend the extra 30 bucks on the bow cert

Per the interwebs: Any person who wishes to bow hunt in the following states is required to have a Bow Hunter Education Certificate: Alaska, Connecticut, Idaho, Maine, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, South Dakota and Vermont. Canadian Provinces include New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Quebec.

All other states only require the hunters Ed cert to archery hunt.

I hunted with a bow in Montana and didn't show a bow certificate...I have had a non-resident Montana license though for a long time.

Hi all, just a question I’m getting in to bow hunting and just hunting in general. My question is do I need the BowHunter-Ed cert or do I need the hunters- Ed cert? I plan on mainly bow hunting but also want to do rifle. Not sure if I need to do both or if one covers it all.
The bow cert is required in some states to hunt with a bow. Ca is not one of them. Odd i know.

Copy that I took both the hunters course and the bow hunters and want to know if it’s worth it to spend the extra 30 bucks on the bow cert
Buboy

learning more is never a waste of time, if starting out take the bow course. even if you don't need it, the more educated and trained the better.

Buboy

learning more is never a waste of time, if starting out take the bow course. even if you don't need it, the more educated and trained the better.
Totally agree with this. That said, if you’re not hunting any of the states that require the cert, save your cash

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu