New to hunting

HuntFSD

May 9, 2022
Introduction

Hello, I shoot recreationally but now I want to start hunting. I got a 556 Ruger American paired with a 3 to 9 vortex diamondback. I want to start with some small vermin like rabbits and move forward from there. Also FSD stands for from San Diego.

It would be nice if you could find a few experienced hunters to go out with, but if not, there are bunch of guys here and other hunter forum who'll be willing to give advice, to a point. The best you can do is get out and observe wildlife and learn their habits, on the job learning is the best way to learn.

Reactions: HuntFSD
It would be nice if you could find a few experienced hunters to go out with, but if not, there are bunch of guys here and other hunter forum who'll be willing to give advice, to a point. The best you can do is get out and observe wildlife and learn their habits, on the job learning is the best way to learn.
I'm willing to do it myself I just need to know a spot that I can explore. If you have a place in mind.

Have you thought about paying for a guide? Private property type stuff?

Introduction

Hello, I shoot recreationally but now I want to start hunting. I got a 556 Ruger American paired with a 3 to 9 vortex diamondback. I want to start with some small vermin like rabbits and move forward from there. Also FSD stands for from San Diego.
Buy a shotgun if you want to get out in the field more often..lots of opportunity with a shotgun. There are lots of canned hunts in central cali if you wanna pay to play..chukkar and pheasant hunts up there and they'll rent you a dog to hunt over also for the day. Never done it but had a buddy do it this past season. BLM out east for rabbits and yotes. And as mentioned the CNF is where you want to explore and familiarize yourself if you want to hunt deer or turkeys. As far as getting spots given to you..don't hold your breath. My first 2 years hunting I could tell you lots of places that don't hold deer but that took getting boots on the ground and hours behind the glass. Start exploring and posting what you find or dont find and maybe someone will toss you a bone or join ya.. I spent 4 yrs hunting the CNF unsuccessfully..wished I could have dropped a D16 deer before I moved out of state but the opportunity never presented itself. Had a spike at 50 yards once while bow hunting but had to watch him feed and walk away since he wasn't legal. Shot some ducks at Wister and San J and some doves and rabbit near El Centro once I bought a shotgun. Good luck and don't get discouraged when you don't see game..just keep showing up and they'll eventually slip.

Last edited:
Is there a particular part of the county you enjoy spending time in? Julian? The desert? Palomar Mtn? If so, grab your rifle and start hiking in that area. I'd "concern" myself more with having a good time and learning than I would with being successful. I know that's hard to do but that's the best place to start IMO. The learning will come, just like it does with everything else.

Get an app that tells you where you can legally be, like ONX. Game changer knowing you aren't on private land or a game reserve where you cannot hunt.

Hello new member here! my name is David join this forum to learn about hunting. Will you please share your experience or tips with me regarding hunting.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu