New to Waterfowl, required gear vs optional gear?

HunterMcBuckKiller

Oct 20, 2020
Polk County, OR
Hey Everyone,
I have a goose hunt planned for December. This will be my first waterfowl hunt.
Besides a shotgun, ammo and a guide, what do I absolutely need for a pleasureable 2 day hunt?
Thinking chest waders are about it... but open to any suggestions you pros may have...

I,ll take a stab at it bro..I've been known to goose.... *Required...license.shotgun..steel shot..warm clothes.. boots..( not sure about waders as all goose hunting I have done is over dry rice fields..unlike duck shooting. *Optional..This could go on for days and 100 pages..as there are many folk that probably bring everything possible that's known to man for a goose...post um when you dump them!!!

Thanks everyone. Kind of what I figured.
Should have a blast!! i am ready to get hooked on some bird hunting. Seems like a lot of fun.
No to get out to the range and play with ammo and chokes...

Thanks everyone. Kind of what I figured.
Should have a blast!! i am ready to get hooked on some bird hunting. Seems like a lot of fun.
No to get out to the range and play with ammo and chokes...

1st off....What kind of geese?....What time of year?....What part of the country....What guide service?

K.I.S.S....On the chokes and ammo....Depending on your shotgun (assuming it's an auto loader)....Plain MODIFIED equals steel FULL....I like Kent Fasteel....3 1/2", 1 3/8 oz., 1550 fps, and depending what kind of goose (snows, specks, honkers)....1's, BB's, or BBB's...If in doubt, I always go to the BBB's....Guides want you to have some shooting....So, many of your shots will be farther than you think, especially your 2nd and 3rd shots...In a 3" shell, I would select the Kent Fasteel, 1 1/8 oz, BB's....If you can afford Bismuth or other high end alternatives, do so...My experience has been, they don't kill 'em any deader....You're allowed 11 lbs of shells, if you're flying...Works out to about 4 boxes....Ask your outfitter what brand and what shells they're using....

Etiquette wise....Always offer to help set-up and pick-up (it really does make it more fun)....The guide will normally be the one to call the shot (Take 'em)....Don't be the guy that tries to get the 1st shot by shooting early....You'll have other shooters with you....If the birds come in on your left and you're on the right, the guys on the left shoot 1st....Don't swing or shoot over someone's head....Don't be a "My Duck"....One bird falls out of a flock and one guy yells "I got one" after 6 guns have shot....:joy:

Good luck and have fun....:blush:

ps....Don't forget to tip the guides............;)

Sportsman warehouse moreno valley has every thing you need it opens on Thursday june 1st

1st off....What kind of geese?....What time of year?....What part of the country....What guide service?

K.I.S.S....On the chokes and ammo....Depending on your shotgun (assuming it's an auto loader)....Plain MODIFIED equals steel FULL....I like Kent Fasteel....3 1/2", 1 3/8 oz., 1550 fps, and depending what kind of goose (snows, specks, honkers)....1's, BB's, or BBB's...If in doubt, I always go to the BBB's....Guides want you to have some shooting....So, many of your shots will be farther than you think, especially your 2nd and 3rd shots...In a 3" shell, I would select the Kent Fasteel, 1 1/8 oz, BB's....If you can afford Bismuth or other high end alternatives, do so...My experience has been, they don't kill 'em any deader....You're allowed 11 lbs of shells, if you're flying...Works out to about 4 boxes....Ask your outfitter what brand and what shells they're using....

Etiquette wise....Always offer to help set-up and pick-up (it really does make it more fun)....The guide will normally be the one to call the shot (Take 'em)....Don't be the guy that tries to get the 1st shot by shooting early....You'll have other shooters with you....If the birds come in on your left and you're on the right, the guys on the left shoot 1st....Don't swing or shoot over someone's head....Don't be a "My Duck"....One bird falls out of a flock and one guy yells "I got one" after 6 guns have shot....:joy:

Al the same stuff as is if you were hunting with your buddies, Bottom line be nice and take your turn as it is presented to you..

Thanks!!
I was always taught that Tipping was not a city in China... no worries there, and if i ever want to learn to do things on my own, i better get my ass out there and help set up

Going just north of Sac in some dry rice fields, sounds line snow and specks in early-mid December. Using a guide I meet on here. (Stefan)

I have 100 rounds of 3" 1 3/8oz 1400 FPS bb shot... I am in Oregon so ammo is readily available...

Semiauto, 12ga Mossburg 935...

Thanks for the etiquette pointers, everything I have seen looks like a free for all. i am there to get birds not be a pain on the ass...

Thanks again...

Thanks!!
I was always taught that Tipping was not a city in China... no worries there, and if i ever want to learn to do things on my own, i better get my ass out there and help set up

Going just north of Sac in some dry rice fields, sounds line snow and specks in early-mid December. Using a guide I meet on here. (Stefan)

I have 100 rounds of 3" 1 3/8oz 1400 FPS bb shot... I am in Oregon so ammo is readily available...

Semiauto, 12ga Mossburg 935...

Thanks for the etiquette pointers, everything I have seen looks like a free for all. i am there to get birds not be a pain on the ass...

Thanks again...

You're with a great guide and friend of mine...You'll really enjoy this trip...Now, pray for water, rice, and weather....... ;)

ww & wister 1-18-12 058.JPGww & wister 1-18-12 072.JPGww & wister 1-18-12 083.JPGww & wister 1-18-12 079.JPG

• Love
Reactions: HunterMcBuckKiller
What year was this trip?
I am looking forward to it!!!
Good looking Dog...

That was at Wister before Stefan started guiding in the Sac area....2003................ :blush:

That's Trigger and he will be 13 this year...Being the only dog that day, kept him busy..................;)

ps...Stefan is also the owner (along with Brian Keller) of Ya Ya snow goose calls....You will hear this sound a lot................:eek:

ww & wister 1-18-12 072.JPG

Sounds like a great guy, between him and Hatchet, seems like everyone i touch base with on this site are stand up people. Wish everyone in ca was that way, I might have stayed...
Thanks for all the info and adding to my excitement of my goose hunt.

Now for the next task, Finding some public land in Oregon for fowl hunting...

Kind words buddy...sure makes it nice and easy when a dude like you shows up and is ready to FINISH!! See you in October bro..bucks for days after this year's epic rain.. it's on! KAPOOW!!

Reactions: HunterMcBuckKiller

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu