Newb....

Shotnotbot12

Mar 12, 2019
Hi all,

New guy here, looking to learn from the veterans, and as I get into hunting more. Got lucky at Turkey tune-up and name was pulled, along with winning the pig hunt raffle, so super stoked. I spent a couple hours coming through the turkey posts, some great stuff that I hadn't thought of yet. Any tips on navigating Brown's Cove at Sutherland Reservoir would be great. I've mapped out the territory in OnX app, set up waypoints, etc., but being new to turkey hunting, any advice without giving up spots obviously would be great. Looking forward to learning from everyone.

Shawn

msailor

Jan 30, 2014
San Diego
Welcome and congrats on the hunts! I was there and did not win a damn thing. But it’s gambling for us hunters. I hunted browns cove last year. PM me for more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
Hi all,

New guy here, looking to learn from the veterans, and as I get into hunting more. Got lucky at Turkey tune-up and name was pulled, along with winning the pig hunt raffle, so super stoked. I spent a couple hours coming through the turkey posts, some great stuff that I hadn't thought of yet. Any tips on navigating Brown's Cove at Sutherland Reservoir would be great. I've mapped out the territory in OnX app, set up waypoints, etc., but being new to turkey hunting, any advice without giving up spots obviously would be great. Looking forward to learning from everyone.

Shawn
Welcome. @DanSanDiego and I drew Brown's Cove on 6 April.. we don't have much of a game plan yet. But whatever happens we'll give you some intel. Good luck.

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
Shawn, I predict that Brown’s Cove will be a very rewarding area this year. Last year a pair of eagles (not sure if they were Bald or Golden) nested there and so turkeys were shy. This year the eagles nested elsewhere. So I’m thinking the turkeys will prefer Browns Cove over the more exposed areas. As @SurfNHuntSD said we can share any intel we gain from April 6th hunt.

msailor

Jan 30, 2014
San Diego
Shawn, I predict that Brown’s Cove will be a very rewarding area this year. Last year a pair of eagles (not sure if they were Bald or Golden) nested there and so turkeys were shy. This year the eagles nested elsewhere. So I’m thinking the turkeys will prefer Browns Cove over the more exposed areas. As @SurfNHuntSD said we can share any intel we gain from April 6th hunt.
I saw those eagles out there last year and did not know they nested there. Thanks as I thought I was a bad turkey hunter. But then again maybe I am!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk