Newbie Checking In. Where the Jacks at!

IRRguy

Apr 27, 2020
Hey guys glad to be here.

Went on my first hunt this past fall. Duck opener. Got a few, was a great time.

Second hunt I drove out to AZ to camp and try for archery Deer. Saw a couple but came home empty handed.

Third hunt was up in the Lone pine area on BLM land for rabbits - got a few cottontails.

This past weekend I was camping in the Mojave preserve and went to look for Jackrabbits. I did not see ONE freaking rabbit the entire time.

I'm in LA. If anyone has some pointers for a good area I can drive to, that would be awesome.

Looking forward to learning the ropes here. Thanks!

Must be a down year for jacks, if the Mojave didn't have any...Best place I know of...Maybe a little further to Lone Pine/Independence alfalfa fields.

Reactions: Sdhunt17
Must be a down year for jacks, if the Mojave didn't have any...Best place I know of...Maybe a little further to Lone Pine/Independence alfalfa fields.

Yeah could be. Thanks. Thats where I got into the rabbits last time, I'll probably head up that way once I know its open to camping again, I heard Alabama Hills and the surrounding areas are closed right now.

I have a million rabbits on my place this year, all this rain got to be good all over.

Maybe I just got unlucky. I'm sure they are out there. I probably should have tried a few more spots.

I went in the morning around 6AM both days and left camp walking around looking for em with my 870.

I actually did see one cottontail but I know they're out of season. No Jackrabbits.

I did see some scat and tracks. But not much.

Thanks

Yeah could be. Thanks. Thats where I got into the rabbits last time, I'll probably head up that way once I know its open to camping again, I heard Alabama Hills and the surrounding areas are closed right now.
We used to ride ATVs in the Lone Pine area. We saw lots of jack rabbits. I always thought about hunting them but we haven’t been back there in a few years.

We used to ride ATVs in the Lone Pine area. We saw lots of jack rabbits. I always thought about hunting them but we haven’t been back there in a few years.

Thanks! I'll definitely be heading that way some time soon

Welcome to the site. You just need to find them. We recently found a spot that is loaded look in high high desert areas and they will be there.

Reactions: CAL'NDN
Maybe I just got unlucky. I'm sure they are out there. I probably should have tried a few more spots.

I went in the morning around 6AM both days and left camp walking around looking for em with my 870.

I actually did see one cottontail but I know they're out of season. No Jackrabbits.

I did see some scat and tracks. But not much.

Thanks
Boots on the ground, keep trying, High Desert is were they are at. Hint Hint:p
look for flat areas next to hills with low sparse brush, not the heavy thick chaparral.
they don't need water, go east or north. in the high deserts, you will find them.

Reactions: CAL'NDN
Boots on the ground, keep trying, High Desert is were they are at. Hint Hint:p
look for flat areas next to hills with low sparse brush, not the heavy thick chaparral.
they don't need water, go east or north. in the high deserts, you will find them.

Thanks man appreciate it. I'll hopefully be going back to the mojave or up around lone pine within the next couple of weeks

Probably a little warm for jacks now. I went in February, and we got 8 of them, between four of us. half had bot flies. You gotta walk deep into the scrub, make noise. But I've been out in mojave and had long periods of time without seeing them. Once you find them tho, they seem to be everywhere.

Probably a little warm for jacks now. I went in February, and we got 8 of them, between four of us. half had bot flies. You gotta walk deep into the scrub, make noise. But I've been out in mojave and had long periods of time without seeing them. Once you find them tho, they seem to be everywhere.

Okay will keep that in mind, thanks

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu