Newbie from the L.A. Area...

maguimaraes

Nov 12, 2012
San Fernando Valley
Hello everyone, I just found the site and wanted to introduce myself instead of just lurking...

My name is Marcelo, 36 years old father of a 3 month old and a 4 year old...have been interested in hunting for a couple of years but never really got into it mostly due to the fact that I knew no one that hunts and seemed pretty hard to do it with out some connections.

I have been surfing since 9 years old and have to be in the ocean at least a few times a week or I get pretty restless, just before the beggining of the summer in 2011 I injured my knee surfing and would have to take the summer off (yeah right) so instead of staying home, I bought a fishing pole, my paddleboard and started fishing from it, that was my way of being in the water.

Eventually my neighbor gave me a polespear and I started to buy more gear and get more into spearfishing and then Lobster season came aroung and I started to do some Lobster dives, connected with some people and went on a few boat trips to the islands and paddy diving and have been hunting underwater a few times a week now, haven't bought any fish or sea food for a little over a year now.

The desire to go hunting on land has never left so I decided to go back to researching and trying to eventually connect with a few people so here I am...

I have tons of questions but will spend some time reading the forums because I know lots of my questions will be answered that way. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to getting to know the people here and eventually in person.

Stay safe!

Welcome. Glad you found the site. Good luck with your hunting ventures but you do NOT need connections to get started hunting. Not sure how you got into the spearfishing but I doubt someone was there every step of the way. Just do your homework. Read up on the rules and regulations. Decide what you want to hunt and get to it. Good luck!

Yes, My spearfishing is mostly self taught, my main goal hunting is to eventually put some food on the table so I am thinking about deer but seems like I should start with the small stuff first the problem with that is that I am constantly working on a low budget and buying shotguns and riffles can bring the bill up real fast.

So, is it really better to start with the small game first or is it doable to go for big game first?

Depends on what YOU want. You're too late for the deer hunting. Only archery tags left. Pull up the DFG website and see what's in season. You can go for pigs, they're year round. There are birds and rabbit you may be interested in? My buddy at work brings in rabbit all the time....

Welcome to the site.
Since there is a budget to deal with I would suggest a shotgun. you can hunt small game and birds. most of us got our start hunting birds then graduated to other things. From the other things you are doing you wont have a problem putting meat on the table.

There is a ton of info on this site. Everyone here is willing to help. Welcome to the wonderful world of hunting!

Welcome to the site. Start planning and scouting now for next deer season. I know we all are.

Thanks guys, I'll be doing my planing and money saving.

I already have a shotgun but it is a tactical and not hunting...wish I could trade it for the right kind.

I know that I will eventually end up with a rifle and a shotgun because I do want to go for deer but rabit and birds seem like a good fun hunt as well!

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to the site Marcelo. You have an interesting story!

If you are looking to trade or sell your shotgun, don't forget to take a look (and/or post an ad) in the Classifieds section.

Best of luck to you!

I was browsing some of my pictures and thought that you guys would get a kick out of this...while on a free-diving/spearfishing one day, I see this whitish "object on the sea floor at about 20 feet of water so I dive down to check it out and could not believe what I was seeing...it now sits in a shelf with some of my fish jaws and lobster head.

IMG_3377.gif

That's cool. There is a part of the skull attached too.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu