Newbie Hunting Couple Saying Hello

socalangler

Apr 2, 2020
Hello SCH Forum members!

My name is Alex and i wanted to get my first post in and introduce myself and my fiance Kristine. We have been hunting turkey, pigs, deer and upland birds for over a year now. Look forward to meeting some of you and sharing our adventures. We have spent the last few weeks turkey hunting in San Diego and finally heard some gobblers this weekend but could never close the gap. Huge victory as we have only seen Toms on private land up to this point. Been backpacking in deep and trying day hikes as well and this was the first response we have gotten. Seem like boots to the ground is finally paying off. Hoping to finish out with a bang this weekend before switching to archery. My fiance is also looking for other woman to hunt with if anyone is interested. I'm 33 and she is 29.

Welcome SCA, good bunch of guys here. Wealth of info to be had. May not hear from Larry for a while. That's another story.

Reactions: socalangler
We plan on drawing deer tags for San Diego this year as we have done a ton of scouting while turkey hunting. Last year we tried local near Saddleback but our best zones were closed because of the fires the year before.

I’m in the I.E. we’re a little older, a bit out of shape, and haven’t done much hunting in a while, but my wife is always looking for other women to hunt with, along with our two daughters. We’ve been more dialed in on fishing the past few years, but we do want to get back in the field.

Ummmm I'm in oc, you can bring them over to my place to bbq :)

I’m in the I.E. we’re a little older, a bit out of shape, and haven’t done much hunting in a while, but my wife is always looking for other women to hunt with, along with our two daughters. We’ve been more dialed in on fishing the past few years, but we do want to get back in the field.
We both bass fish a ton and our goal is to get the fiance a tuna this year. She has been picking up bass fishing really quickly.

Welcome to the both of you. Pretty rad pics. Definitely on my bucket list forsure, I hear sandhill crane is delicious! That's cool you guys go hunt together. Took my wife scouting a couple times and she really enjoyed it. She is still a little gun shy but trying to get her more confident behind the trigger. Good luck on landing that bird!!

Alex,

Welcome to SCH...Love the fact you're both into the out of doors...Sandhills ARE the ribeye of the sky.

ps...Good luck on this last week of turkey hunting (gun).

Welcome aboard looks like you both will fit right in here well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

do you have turkey decoys, I use to try it with out them, but that was a mistake, I think it really helps, a jake and a hen, paint the jakes head white. see some my post recently about turkey hunting, plus all the turkey stuff ilovesprig pos, we call him Mr turkey hunter. :)

Welcome to the both of you. Pretty rad pics. Definitely on my bucket list forsure, I hear sandhill crane is delicious! That's cool you guys go hunt together. Took my wife scouting a couple times and she really enjoyed it. She is still a little gun shy but trying to get her more confident behind the trigger. Good luck on landing that bird!!
The sand hills were great! Don't cook to much, medium rare at most or they get tough. It is a really fun hunt and wasn't very pricey.

do you have turkey decoys, I use to try it with out them, but that was a mistake, I think it really helps, a jake and a hen, paint the jakes head white. see some my post recently about turkey hunting, plus all the turkey stuff ilovesprig pos, we call him Mr turkey hunter. :)
Yeah I'm running a hen and a jake. Primos plastic decoys. My best friend in Texas sent a whole turkey package and ton of calls. We are slowly figuring it out. You paint the head white so it looks less dominate? The dominate bird will have brighter colors if i remember reading right. My fiance and i watched all those videos you posted, Great stuff!

Yeah I'm running a hen and a jake. Primos plastic decoys. My best friend in Texas sent a whole turkey package and ton of calls. We are slowly figuring it out. You paint the head white so it looks less dominate? The dominate bird will have brighter colors if i remember reading right. My fiance and i watched all those videos you posted, Great stuff!
I forget which YouTube Video I posted but look at his decoy he paints it white, it means the turkey is hot and ready to mate, and it pisses off the dominate Tom.
check out the Mossberg series about Turkey Hunting, good tips, plus all Ilovesprig suggest.

What does a hunt like that cost besides the fuel to get out to Texas? Is your buddy a guide or just leases the land to hunt?

It was $250 a person for a day hunt and we were done by 10AM. Evan at Tornado Country Outfitters is a solid dude. We hunted the Red River on the border of Texas and Oklahoma. DM me and I can send a link.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu