Newbie in North OC

Smokey58

May 10, 2018
Howdy All, I recently found this great site and it was obvious that there is a lot of knowledge and good will amongst the members. My passion is Upland and I mostly hunt quail and chukar from one extreme to the other: southern Sierras to MNP. I do deer hunt some and hope to do more now that I'm retired. I look forward to contributing on both the Upland and Dog training forums. my first two dogs were an EP and Brittany and now I have a GSP who just started his training. Once I figure out how I will post some pics.

Reactions: Moves
Welcome Smokey to SCH.....Looking forward to seeing some of those chukar pix.....Old or new.

ps....What's your question on how to post pictures?

if you are on a full size computer just drag and drop them into the post!

on your phone just click the big upload a file button!

Ok thanks for the tips. at least I was able to upload the chukar pic circa 2008 or 2009, that was the banner year for birds in SoCal

Welcome Smokey! I too have a passion for the rimrock and the Alectoris chukar! I live in N. OC as well in Anaheim. I shoot skeet and trap at Prado Olympic Shooting Park during my lunchtime about once a week. Send me a private message if you want to shoot together and discuss hunting.

Thanks Moves. I will pm you. I normally shoot trap at Prado every other sat or sunday morning and avoid weekdays because the voice activators never work well there.

Thanks Moves. I will pm you. I normally shoot trap at Prado every other sat or sunday morning and avoid weekdays because the voice activators never work well there.

Hi Smokey,

I hear you on the mics on the trap field! Quite frustrating... So, there are pullers on the weekend?

My preferred game is skeet but it's tough to do that by yourself. I shoot during my lunch because I still have kids and a wife at home that need my weekend time.

Yep, Prado has some good kids (early 20s) as weekend pullers on the Trap Field. I can shoot weekdays at noon so we will coordinate....

this pic was in 2009, Barstow general area...unfortunately that area has not bounced back and haven't found Chucks thereabouts since only pretty jasper rocks.

this pic was in 2009, Barstow general area...unfortunately that area has not bounced back and haven't found Chucks thereabouts since only pretty jasper rocks.

Was just out there about a week ago dirt biking with friends and found quite few chuckar roaming around never seen so many in the 10 years I’ve been riding out there!!!!

Man that is good news. I seen a lot of paired up quail 2 weeks ago in the remote area of Phelan, so lets hope 2018 is a better Upland year.

Man that is good news. I seen a lot of paired up quail 2 weeks ago in the remote area of Phelan, so lets hope 2018 is a better Upland year.

Ya totally I hope so too where I saw most of them it would be one long hike lol thank god for dirt bikes!!!

Hunter_r925, you and me and Smokey58 should get together and go desert mountain climbing for those red legs!

I would definitely be up for that! Was in Barstow dirt biking over the weekend in a new area and jumped up a bunch while riding on the trail looks hopeful for next season!

Well, Smokey and I had fun shooting two rounds of trap at Prado on Thursday at lunchtime.

Smokey was trying out his new Franchi Affinity 3 and seemed to shoot pretty well.

Two rounds of trap or skeet for 12 bucks (on Thursdays) is an awesome deal guys! Come on out and join us for the fun!
IMG_6207.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu