Newbie in San Marcos

BangBangBrandon

Jan 22, 2018
San Marcos, CA
Hey all. I’ve been reading tons of info on this site in the past week and decided it was time to jump in and introduce myself. My names Brandon. I live in San Marcos right now. Been hunting for about 2 years now. Regularly quail and dove. And just did my first duck hunt and San Jacinto WA at the end of December where I got one spoonie (pretty slow day). LOVED duck hunting and can’t wait to go again! I’m shooting a Benelli supernova. I hiked for turkey last spring with a hunting friend from work (with no luck) but I really want to get a turkey on my table. I went to the turkey tune up last spring and looking forward to going again in a few weeks. I really love this hunting thing. Been looking at rifles and bows recently and would love to get in on a deer hunt next season. Loving this site, all the info and stories. Looking forward to meeting some of you in the future.

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Brandon,

Welcome to SCH.....We're practically neighbors.....Look forward to meeting you at the tune-up.

Ask lots of questions.....Fastest way to solving the hunting puzzle.

Reactions: BangBangBrandon
Hey Welcome. If you don't have it, buy the OnX app and start checking out open hunting areas. There are more than most people realize.

Reactions: BangBangBrandon
I wrote this years ago when I was in your shoes...still relevant. PM me...
---------------------
I'll share my experience which will help you get a better understanding of how it works here:

1. Joined the forums and read, read, read...did NOT post yet.

2. Found certain guys on here that seemed to have a better understanding - singled them out and read all their posts.

3. Scouted areas based on their post insights.

4. Hunted alone...learned...and documented my findings.

5. THEN made a few private messages about my hunts to those guys I singled out in the forums. They are much more willing to share that way.

6. Do what they say and share your results with them...good or bad.

7. Start posting about your hunts...don't ask for anything in general posts, just share results. The guys will comment if they want.

WHY this process (3 years) worked for me?

1. I now have a solid bird gun, the right decoys and gear because of their advice.

2. I have a few honey spots because of them...although I have more "friends" when I get a good ressie :)

3. I always remember to report back to them my findings...(i.e. No turkey sightings to tons of quail...always return the favor).

4. Share your pics of successful hunts...these mentors like to see that you put in the work and got yourself a trophy!

...at least, that is what I did...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu