Newbie Needs Rifle Advice

WntHnt

May 1, 2023
Please move if it's the wrong place for this.

Hi everybody, trying to get started later then I expected in hunting. Don't know much about anything to do with hunting but been learning a much as I can. I'm getting ready to purchase a rifle, but would like to get your advice. I don't know exactly where I'll be doing most of my hunts, but most likely D11 as it's closets to me. I've narrowed my choices to two guns linked below. I'm doing a budget gun to test the waters. Also, I'm wondering if there are any people near LA or Orange County that would like to mentor someone like me. I have my license and OnX. I have so many questions on hunting national forest and would really like to hear an experience hunter break it down for me. I've reached out to the ranger stations, but no one really has answers and only direct you to Fish and Wildlife, so frustrating. Your input is highly appreciated. Thanks

Howa 1500 in 30-06

Or
Howa hunter combo in 270

Reactions: 180ls1
Your Cal. choices are both great. 30-06 have killed massive numbers of big game, massive. Go out and join a rod and gun club or attend one of the various hunting meetings Ilovesprigs puts on down there in SD county. I personally do not hunt in Ca.

I have a Howa 1500 in .270 and I love the way it shoots. Unfortunately havent been able to drop any deer with it yet but its a very easy round to handle and im confident it will kill anything i encounter around here. Either of your choices are great. Good luck

Reactions: WntHnt
WntHnt,

Welcome to SCH...To answer your 1st questions...You're probably a little too far from San Diego (Poway) to do you much good at our NWTF meetings...There are other clubs up your way though...The best one would be the Compton Hunting & Fishing Club (actually in Long Beach)...My dad was a former president and there's guys that could help you...The other place would be find your local chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation or California Deer Association...Bass Pro Shop has seminars, Raahauge has a summer shooting fair in July...Stay active on our SCH site...A lot of guys with a ton of knowledge...PM or call me anytime.

Lastly, the two rifle calibers you chose will do anything you want in SoCal...The lighter .270 would be my choice for now...As far as the brand...The Savage Axis (with Accu-trigger) has been a great gun for my SIL...Under $400.00 with Bushnell scope...Ammunition (copper) is readily available too.

.https://www.yelp.com/biz/compton-hunting-and-fishing-club-compton

012.JPG

WntHnt,

Welcome to SCH...To answer your 1st questions...You're probably a little too far from San Diego (Poway) to do you much good at our NWTF meetings...There are other clubs up your way though...The best one would be the Compton Hunting & Fishing Club (actually in Long Beach)...My dad was a former president and there's guys that could help you...The other place would be find your local chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation or California Deer Association...Bass Pro Shop has seminars, Raahauge has a summer shooting fair in July...Stay active on our SCH site...A lot of guys with a ton of knowledge...PM or call me anytime.

Lastly, the two rifle calibers you chose will do anything you want in SoCal...The lighter .270 would be my choice for now...As far as the brand...The Savage Axis (with Accu-trigger) has been a great gun for my SIL...Under $400.00 with Bushnell scope...Ammunition (copper) is readily available too.

.https://www.yelp.com/biz/compton-hunting-and-fishing-club-compton

View attachment 58542
Hello sir! I heard you on the Ridge to Ridge podcast and let me tell you, you have great stories and knowledge. I was actually at the YEP event with kids this past Saturday at the Compton Hunting and Fishing Club. What a cool place. I think you have to be invited into the club, so I'll have to see how I get my foot in the door. Thanks for your input. I hear that the Axis guns might rust issues. Have you experienced this at all?

Hello sir! I heard you on the Ridge to Ridge podcast and let me tell you, you have great stories and knowledge. I was actually at the YEP event with kids this past Saturday at the Compton Hunting and Fishing Club. What a cool place. I think you have to be invited into the club, so I'll have to see how I get my foot in the door. Thanks for your input. I hear that the Axis guns might rust issues. Have you experienced this at all?

The club is by invitation only, but you used to be able to contact and go to a meeting...If you have an issue let me know.

I bought that same gun for my daughter in .243...Neither Jacob or I have had issue with rust...I do keep them clean though.

001.JPG
002.JPG113.JPG

My brother in law who is a boarder patrol officer has had an entire gun safe of firearms rust because he never took care of them, shoot them and put them in his safe, I'll clean them later he would say. I wanted to ring his neck.

• Wow
Reactions: ilovesprig
My brother in law who is a boarder patrol officer has had an entire gun safe of firearms rust because he never took care of them, shoot them and put them in his safe, I'll clean them later he would say. I wanted to ring his neck.
Yikes! Is he by the beach? That reminds me I have a shotgun to clean. Lol

Howas are cool..like 870s... ...mine is in 25-06...high pressure nozzle and a quick wipe down with some hoppes and she's good to go! Just wish I hunted more...she gives me the stink eye when I open the gun cabinet and choose Alice over her ..I love Alice..

Screenshot_20230516-085052.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Either will suit you well. I'd grab the .270 as you really don't need the added recoil of the '06. Remember most animals you hunt (deer, pigs, bear) will be in the 100-150lb range here. Even a 6.5 creed would check the box.

Can’t beat the 06 in my opinion. But hey I’m mostly a bow hunter anyway. What kind of questions were you looking to ask the ranger station? I can probably help you
Are wilderness areas such as the San Gabriel Wilderness and Pleasant View Ridge Wilderness open to hunting. Also asked about hanging cameras and I couldn't get a straight answer. I just don't want to be in an area that gets me dinged for carrying or shooting a rifle. Doesn't seem to be much parking in those roads, so I'm assuming we have to park in the camping areas. If so, then we have to 150 yds away from dwellings and roads right? Forest seems regulated than BLM when it comes to zoning.

Wilderness are legal to hunt cameras are legal plenty of places to park besides camp grounds. Make sure if you park at any developed site you display the adventure pass also leave nothing in your vehicle theft is becoming very common problem

Game cams are legal. However, legally, nothing can be left on national forest land for more than 15 days, in which it is considered abandoned.

Almost every roadway in the state has a 15 foot public right of way, meaning that if there is a shoulder wide enough to park on, it is legal.

I'd be happy to chat with you. Shoot me a PM with you phone number and some good days and times to call, and I'll give you a call.

Reactions: WntHnt
If so, then we have to 150 yds away from dwellings and roads right?

Wrong....The 150 yd rule states, you must be a 150 yds from any dwelling, outbuilding, or barn....The only provision about roads is, you can NOT shoot from or over them.

Here's the exact wording.....

3004. (a) It is unlawful for any person, other than the owner,
person in possession of the premises, or a person having the express
permission of the owner or person in possession of the premises, to
hunt or to discharge while hunting, any firearm or other deadly
weapon within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or
other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection
therewith. The 150-yard area is a "safety zone."
(b) It is unlawful for any person to intentionally discharge any
firearm or release any arrow or crossbow bolt over or across any
public road or other established way open to the public in an unsafe
and reckless manner.

Game cams are legal. However, legally, nothing can be left on national forest land for more than 15 days, in which it is considered abandoned.

Almost every roadway in the state has a 15 foot public right of way, meaning that if there is a shoulder wide enough to park on, it is legal.

I'd be happy to chat with you. Shoot me a PM with you phone number and some good days and times to call, and I'll give you a call.
Great info!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu