Newbie to it all !!

dirtriddr

Mar 27, 2018
RANCHO CUCAMONGA
Hello everyone,

I just want to introduce myself. My name is Jason, 45, live in Rancho Cucamonga and I am new to hunting. I have been shooting since the age of 7 and have always wanted to hunt, just don't know any hunters. I have my hunter education card and I realize its late in the season and realistically am looking at next season before I can even attempt to get out there. So i will spend the time to educate myself, buy the right equipment and study the land. I am looking for friends, mentors and any advice I can get and how to find the areas (not anyone's spots) to go hunting at. I hope one day to be sufficient enough to have my own spots. From what I have seen so far I am loving this site.

Thank you and have a good day

Jason

Welcome to SCH. I spend a bit of time up in Rancho visiting family but haven't hunted up that way before. What type of hunting are u looking to get into? This is a good time to figure that all out and scout areas for the fall. Good luck.

Reactions: dirtriddr
Welcome to SCH. I spend a bit of time up in Rancho visiting family but haven't hunted up that way before. What type of hunting are u looking to get into? This is a good time to figure that all out and scout areas for the fall. Good luck.

Thank you for responding,
I am looking to get into Turkey, Wild Hog and Deer. Then eventually to start expanding to other species like Elk and more types of birds. I don't mind going out of my area because I don't know if there is much around here. I just try and stay positive knowing that Im not that far from San Diego and just a few hours more of a drive I can be in Central California

Reactions: Moves
Welcome Jason. I'm not to far from Rancho. I hunt D-14 San Bernardino mountains. If you decide to hunt that Zone, Just ask away & I'll help as much as possible. "In reason of course."
You back yard is D-11, & it is a giant area with alot of National Forest.
What equipment do you have so far?

Welcome Jason. I'm not to far from Rancho. I hunt D-14 San Bernardino mountains. If you decide to hunt that Zone, Just ask away & I'll help as much as possible. "In reason of course."
You back yard is D-11, & it is a giant area with alot of National Forest.
What equipment do you have so far?

Thank you for responding,

San Bernardino mountains is a place Im definitely checking out as soon as I can get up there.

As far as equipment I have some clothes, skinning knives, Vortex binoculars, Benelli 12 gauge, Mossberg 12 and 20 gauge, .308 and 30-30 rifles. I am looking into to getting some good boots soon. And I still need to get stuff for camping overnight and backpacking. I just bought some books on hunting so I am sure it will be adding to my list of things I need

Reactions: Moves
Welcome Jason. If you don’t have it I recommend getting the OnX maps app. I’ve hunted the Cajon Pass area near you for quail, and seen deer in the area. I don’t believe there are any pigs or turkey in the area. Coyotes in the local NF if you’re interested in that. Good luck!

Welcome Jason. If you don’t have it I recommend getting the OnX maps app. I’ve hunted the Cajon Pass area near you for quail, and seen deer in the area. I don’t believe there are any pigs or turkey in the area. Coyotes in the local NF if you’re interested in that. Good luck!

I have heard of OnX maps and wanted to check into it. Wasn't sure if I should get a GPS unit or just use my phone, any opinion? I have heard some people talking that there are turkey by Wrightwood and behind Big Bear and even southeast Temecula and Anza. As far as coyote that does interest me in trying.

Jason,

Welcome to SCH.....To my knowledge, there's no turkeys in Big Bear and only a slight possibility in Temec, or Anza.....Starting at about Oak Grove, you'll see turkeys off of Hwy 79.....The Lake Henshaw area is one of the hubs of turkeys.

Gun wise, it sounds like you're pretty prepared.....Rabbit season opens July 1st, Dove Sept. 1st, and predators (for the most part), all year.

OnX Maps and a good map of whatever area you choose are a must these days.....Google Earth is your friend as well.

Waterfowling is one of the funnest of the hunts, but you will need a mentor for species ID.....If you play the reservation game and get drawn at Kern, San Jacinto, or Wister.....You'll get plenty of new friends.....lol

Big game (deer) is pretty easy hunting wise in SoCal.....After the take is way more challenging though....Best to hunt with someone early on.

Good luck and ask lots of questions.....Fastest way to learn IMO

Jason,

Welcome to SCH.....To my knowledge, there's no turkeys in Big Bear and only a slight possibility in Temec, or Anza.....Starting at about Oak Grove, you'll see turkeys off of Hwy 79.....The Lake Henshaw area is one of the hubs of turkeys.

Gun wise, it sounds like you're pretty prepared.....Rabbit season opens July 1st, Dove Sept. 1st, and predators (for the most part), all year.

OnX Maps and a good map of whatever area you choose are a must these days.....Google Earth is your friend as well.

Waterfowling is one of the funnest of the hunts, but you will need a mentor for species ID.....If you play the reservation game and get drawn at Kern, San Jacinto, or Wister.....You'll get plenty of new friends.....lol

Big game (deer) is pretty easy hunting wise in SoCal.....After the take is way more challenging though....Best to hunt with someone early on.

Good luck and ask lots of questions.....Fastest way to learn IMO

Thank you for the response and the info
Jason

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu