Nikon p223 turrets help, how to adjust from 100 to 200 yards

Capt.bones

Sep 15, 2015
San Diego, CA
So. I'm am trying to get a grasp on how to adjust my turrets from 100 yards to 200 and up. I'm using the spot on app. I enter my round and target yard and zero yard. For example. Armscor 62 grain, app says at a 100 yard zero and a 200 yard target I should adjust -3.57 inche low. So if my scope says one click is a 1/4 inch at 100 yards. Do I do 14 clicks on my turret to achieve a hit at 200 yards with a 100 yard zero? Basically my question is how do you guys adjust your turrets for yardage. What's a click equal. And so on. Hope I'm making sense. Thanks you.

o_O.....Yikes....Should be plenty of guys on here that know all that kind of stuff......lol

ps.....I try to have my rifles (.243, .270, 30-06) 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yds.....Pretty much dead on at 200.

Reactions: Gspman
Ill try my best here- simple answer: your click at 100yds =1/4". At 200yds that would be 1/2" per click. So 7 clicks would give you elevation of 3.5"

Reactions: Gspman
Capt- Don't just go with any dope a ballistic app spits out for you. You need to verify the numbers and it's usually off. I have 3 of these apps on my phone and one on my computer and they just confuse/ frustrate me. Fun to play with while waiting for a dinner table but at the range I feel like I'm wasting valuable trigger time.

They say "garbage in- garbage out" so I can't blame anyone but myself with these calculators.

Nice. Thank you xjon. Ill play at the range around 7 clicks. I'm not one for apps and stuff either. I have no facebook, no instascam, sch is about the only social media I use. I dont trust that app. Just some sort of calculation I thought I could apply. Thanks again guys. Good stuff.

Capt Google the heck out how to adjust Target turrets. Elevation and windage. Get a grasp on this first. Do you have ballistic turrets?. OK I don't consider my self an expert. But I have adjusted and calibrated a few Scopes. You will be messing with Minute of angle or the metric version .rads. what you will be messing with is simple trigonometry. But best way to this is to practice at 200 yards and adjust the elevation. The amount of drop from 100 yards to 200 yards depends on a lot of factors. The cartridge, load of the powder, the density and size (weight) of the bullet. Best bet is get out and practice. Take shot at tarket with 1 inch squares. So can see the precise change in inches. If one click = 1/4 inch at 100 yards. And it drops 3-1/2 inches. I bet it will take about 7 clicks (as said above) if it takes 4 clicks to change elevation 1 inch at 100 yards. It will change approximately 2 inches at 200 yards. You will have to shoot the Target and adjust for all virables. Best of luck.

Reactions: JakeSCH
LOL sometimes old is better I still use the old redfield range finder scope I bought on my 7mm S&W back in 95. I just center the target between the lines turn the eye peace and boom out to 500 yds. scope is still dead on even after all these years. My zero is 200yds. I just turn it back and I'm good to go. Has a gage in the scope that tells me the yardage as I turn it.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
So. I'm am trying to get a grasp on how to adjust my turrets from 100 yards to 200 and up. I'm using the spot on app. I enter my round and target yard and zero yard. For example. Armscor 62 grain, app says at a 100 yard zero and a 200 yard target I should adjust -3.57 inche low. So if my scope says one click is a 1/4 inch at 100 yards. Do I do 14 clicks on my turret to achieve a hit at 200 yards with a 100 yard zero? Basically my question is how do you guys adjust your turrets for yardage. What's a click equal. And so on. Hope I'm making sense. Thanks you.

The Nikon SPOT ON App tells you how many adjustments (clicks) in elevation needed when you go to the "Ballistics Table". However, as others have said I would do research into understanding MOA.

I have gone through and created my own ballistic calculators and have verified Spot On for .308. I typically keep screen shots of the ballastics table for a couple different temperatures for the altitude I will be hunting.

But I 100% agree with others that it is more important to practice long range before you ever take a shot at an animal.

Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu