No Canada This year....

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
After 19 straight years of hunting Alberta, it looks like year #20 isn't going to happen...Talked with Claudio Ongaro (outfitter) and also talked to friends up there that said the Canadian government has extended the border closure to non-resident aliens till Sept. 21st and expect closure to continue...Like I've mentioned before, every waterfowler should experience Canada at least once...Pix from the earliest days (2001) flying up with a handful of Feather Flex honker decoys and a spinner...To last year with the best full bodies, silos, multiple remote controlled spinners and 2 full decoy trailers.....lol

.031.JPG026.JPG010.JPGIMG_0203.JPGcanada 2007 day 4 054.jpgcanada day 7 028.JPGcanada day 3,4,5 048.JPG040.JPG026.JPG032.JPG

Looks like fun. Great Pics. Thanks for sharing.
Unique time that we are living in with unfortunate consequences.

I see videos on youtube where guys are making to canada?

Mac,

When the foremost waterfowl outfitter tells me he's done for September....I'm pretty sure no one is crossing or flying to Canada.

You sure you're not looking at last years videos?

And you know what really sucks is a few of us are getting up there in years and there are no do overs for lost seasons. Really going to miss this year

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ilovesprig
Thats a bummer Steve..Always looked forward to you bringing us along with all the updates and pictures. Hopefully you can still get some duck action out here..I'm sure theres a new ducker out there who could use a mentor this season ;) if there is a season..

Sorry to hear that Steve. My Jicarilla elk hunt has been cancelled. It would have been my grandson first Elk hunt. Crap all the way around.

• Sad
Here ya go; i bet this is why ca. Bird counts went down.
Shut down Canada and im sure the future for us here will see more birds.and harvest more.im glad its shutdown.

Last edited:
Here ya go; i bet this is why ca. Bird counts went down.
Shut down Canada and im sure the future for us here will see more birds.and harvest more.im glad its shutdown.

Good thing to hope for. Shut down all hunting in the US and hunters in Mexico might see a few more ducks too.

Mac,

Let's take it even further...What we shoot in Canada is about 99% honkers, mallards, and specks...In SoCal our honkers come from Utah, our mallards are mostly local, and specks are very rare...So hypothetically, Canada shouldn't effect us SoCal's much...Northern states could see a difference IMO depending on the weather in Canada.

They had great recruitment this spring and summer in Alberta where we hunt...Maybe we'll have more spoones... :blush:

ps...This was recorded in July

Reactions: Designed2Hunt
Might be a double whammy for you Steve. I'm sure Montana will see more hunters this year.

Mac,

Let's take it even further...What we shoot in Canada is about 99% honkers, mallards, and specks...In SoCal our honkers come from Utah, our mallards are mostly local, and specks are very rare...So hypothetically, Canada shouldn't effect us SoCal's much...Northern states could see a difference IMO depending on the weather in Canada.

They had great recruitment this spring and summer in Alberta where we hunt...Maybe we'll have more spoones... :blush:

ps...This was recorded in July
I read in a CWA magazine not too long ago that Spoons were up 100% in SoCal. Do you remember reading that stat?

I read in a CWA magazine not too long ago that Spoons were up 100% in SoCal. Do you remember reading that stat?

Hunter,

Spoonie's don't nest in SoCal...Maybe they were referring to spoonie's at their long termed average of 100%...That would be in Canada.

Hunter,

Spoonie's don't nest in SoCal...Maybe they were referring to spoonie's at their long termed average of 100%...That would be in Canada.
It must have been referring to the take in each region, because they had those stats for each species in the different regions of California. I threw out a bunch of magazines recently but I’ll try to find the issue.

I couldn’t find the magazine but I looked around on the website. I think it was the season stats in the summer issue from last year.
7DB72815-95E7-4226-BE5C-2E11B3A73B91.png

That's a bummer Steve...I will miss your reports. They are the closest I have come to hunting in Canada!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu