No crossbows in the Laguna Rec area

Crossbow is considered firearm but would be considered archery for a disabled person who cant draw a bow. There is a permit for it via CA DFW.
I understand that, but that doesn't mean it can be used in the recreation area. It just allows them to use a crossbow instead of a bow while archery hunting. I really don't care personally (except for the fact that while talking to the guy he swung the business end of it across my buddy and me). I just knew that I had seen it in writing before when I was looking to see if my son could hunt with one.

It's getting stupid up there......one guy in a ghillie suit with his bow on his back stomping around treestands & cams

Reactions: socalhntr
I understand that, but that doesn't mean it can be used in the recreation area. It just allows them to use a crossbow instead of a bow while archery hunting. I really don't care personally (except for the fact that while talking to the guy he swung the business end of it across my buddy and me). I just knew that I had seen it in writing before when I was looking to see if my son could hunt with one.
Id like to see the forest ranger who issues a disabled person a citation for that.
Pretty conflicting rules if you ask me. And one that could and should be fought in court. State says crossbow is "archery equipment" when used under a disabled permit. Id like to see a ranger give a disabled person a ticket for that. If a disabled person cant use a crossbow as archery equipment in Laguna Rec Area that rule would eliminate the ability of a disabled person to hunt public land. Pretty sure they would get sued on ADA law pretty quick.

Id like to see the forest ranger who issues a disabled person a citation for that.

Pretty conflicting rules if you ask me. And one that could and should be fought in court. State says crossbow is "archery equipment" when used under a disabled permit. Id like to see a ranger give a disabled person a ticket for that. If a disabled person cant use a crossbow as archery equipment in Laguna Rec Area that rule would eliminate the ability of a disabled person to hunt public land. Pretty sure they would get sued on ADA law pretty quick.
You're probably right. It's not like they actually know the rules anyhow... I'm not taking a stand regardless, just answering the guy's question in case he sees this. Although it wouldn't "eliminate the ability of a disabled person to hunt public land", just THIS small piece of public land.

better get use to it boys. the "DEMS" will discriminate against anyone disabled or not. Better give up as hunting will be gone forever as long as they are in power.

Wish I knew what a “forest ranger” is exactly. Forest Service employees will not know the rules regarding crossbows/ handicap/rec area. It is ultimately the responsibility of the hunter to know what they’re doing. You will however be written a citation if you or your crossbow are on fire during fire restrictions.

• Haha
The problem with laws is that there is no one set of laws. Crossbows are perfectly legal during archery season if you have a Disabled Archery Permit. That said, certain areas do prohibit certain specific things, items or practices that, under normal circumstances, would be perfectly legal. Case in point...I was contacted by a ranger one day when I was out deer hunting. I was sitting on one side of a small pond watching a deer trail that led to the water. He told me it was illegal to shoot across water. I immediately questioned that statement. I know it CAN be unsafe because of a ricochet, but not illegal. He stated it was ILLEGAL, and told me to leave. I wasn't going to argue with him, especially since my hunt was blown anyway, and left. I then checked with DFW. Their answer was "Perfectly legal to shoot over water. What about duck hunters?". True, but I did some more research. The area was in the Cleveland National Forest and THEY have a special rule, or law, that prohibits shooting over any body of water. Go figure! I guess you have to check everything...and then check it again. The Laguna regulations are another good example.

EEKS I have a friend who hunts with a crossbow as a he has the disabled hunters permit he has been hunting Laguna rec area with it for a couple years now has no idea about that rule. It seems to be to vague the way it is written, and due to the contradiction could be fought in the courts it seems.

Last edited:
it does not state in the rule that a disabled archer can use a cross bow. it just states crossbows are prohibited in the rec area. I know disabled archers use their crossbows there, I never interfered or warned them. I am not law enforcement. people here believe it's legal who am I to argue. however I believe the rangers look the other way. I am not aware as of this writing any one getting a ticket.
it's up to each Individual to read the regulations of each area, then if it's vague contact the resident agency in writing a get clarification.

it does not state in the rule that a disabled archer can use a cross bow. it just states crossbows are prohibited in the rec area. I know disabled archers use their crossbows there, I never interfered or warned them. I am not law enforcement. people here believe it's legal who am I to argue. however I believe the rangers look the other way. I am not aware as of this writing any one getting a ticket.
it's up to each Individual to read the regulations of each area, then if it's vague contact the resident agency in writing a get clarification.
That is exactly how I interpret it. No Crossbow means no crossbows. Assuming that the disability exception applies in a place that doesn't allow crossbows is a stretch...

According to a California Fish and Wildlife Game Warden that I contacted, it is legal to possess and hunt with a crossbow in the Laguna Recreation area if you have a disabled archers permit. Dont take my word for it. Contact a Game Warden like I did.

Reactions: BIGCIM
My friend Ron, told me the same thing when I advised him of this he said he had called and was told he was good to go for the rec area.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu