No more hunters Ed follow up class?

Crosman999

Jul 26, 2015
Ventura, CA
Hope that someone can clarify? Someone I know recently asked if he could tag along on one of my hunts. I asked if he had a hunting license, he said no. I told him he needed to complete hunters Ed. He did the online portion and to my surprise tells me today he got his license. Something sounds fishy, unless something has changed I believe the follow up class is required? He has never had a license before. I'm a bit sceptical about hunting with someone who hasn't taken that class, lots of important safety information learned. Thoughts???

i have my 9yo doing hunter safety right now... i have been shadowing her as she does it and ill say its pretty involved. They go into great detail on a lot of subjects. If you have zero knowledge starting out it would be hard to understand it all. They go into some dumb detail on flint locks and revolvers and stuff that new hunters do not need to know about.

my 9yo is taking the tests with no help at all from me and passing most with flying colors.

So with the absence of a very vital part of the course in most of our opinions, I guess the best thing to do as veteran hunters is to step up and take the knew ones along who are missing out on stuff taught in the follow up class. We will be able to guide them hands on in the field. I was really in disbelief that they did that but what is done is done now we need to do are part to keep the learning of the safety elements in the field.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I personally think it's great...Gets the father or mother involved and they should know safety is 1st...If they don't, then the course is good for them too.

ps...Arizona has to my knowledge never had a safety ed class for youth hunters, as long as they were with an adult/parent.

So with the absence of a very vital part of the course in most of our opinions, I guess the best thing to do as veteran hunters is to step up and take the knew ones along who are missing out on stuff taught in the follow up class. We will be able to guide them hands on in the field. I was really in disbelief that they did that but what is done is done now we need to do are part to keep the learning of the safety elements in the field.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
CA will not let a dollar be lost.... but rest assured...they will take it..

I personally benefited from this current situation... in my defense I had a very good NRA rifle instructor in the BSA and a lot of what he taught us ( if not all) is applicable to hunting.

I had my 12 and 14yo sons do the class themselves. Kansas offers the online class for free, and CA accepted the online credential, so all we needed was the in person class. With COVID we were not able to take the in person class, and by authorizing the online class to satisfy the hunter education requirement in full - we were able to start hunting. This is how the boys will keep busy during the fall. All the sports programs have been canceled. We had two weeks of soccer practice and then back to lockdown. I learned weapon safety in the military, and have always taught my sons to respect and adhere to firearm safety. Their hunting skills they will need to learn by doing.

I was a hunter safety instructor many years ago before the online crap. Sorry I’m old school and think hunter safety should be taught in person in a class room setting but that’s a different discussion. When I hunt with someone new even if they are an experienced hunter I always give a little safety talk before we hunt, we both need to be on the same page. If they are a new hunter my discussion will be a little more in depth , cover a little more. we both feel a little better about the hunt knowing what’s expected of each of us.
I’m mostly a waterfowl and upland hunter and even with partners I’ve hunted several times with I still go over a couple safety matters. For the OP I suggest if you hunt with this new licensee you go over a couple safety topics and be sure you feel comfortable hunting with him and his understanding of what you imparted to him.

My first hunter safety class when I was 15 years old, it was was with the fish & game.
The ask me to shoot at the range and physically wanted to show how to safely handle a rifle. And wanted to know if I knew how to shoot it.
He said I did great and passed the handling. I also had to pass the written test. Where the p2000 is at now use to be fish and game gun range.
I took it again two years ago it was all written. But passed it 100%

Reactions: WaterDog
When I taught hunter safety I had to take a test, was interviewed by DF&G, background check and was appointed by DF&G. When I taught it , it was at a range and I made all demonstrate safe handling of rifle, shotgun and handgun. They all had to show they could safely load and fire a weapon. The course was 14 hours over 2 days and plus 2 hours for the test. I felt good about all the people that took my classes with the exception of maybe a total of 3. They all passed the test but I just wasn’t sure about a couple of them. A couple were just plane stupid But I had no reason to disallow their certificate. And of course some flunked the test. The ones who flunked it was obvious they did not read the book even though I covered the entire book in class. I thoroughly enjoyed Teaching the course but after a couple years no longer had the time to devote (for free of course) several of my weekends a year.

My biggest concern is safe gun handling, especially around my dog. I have a feeling much may have been missed and will have to feel it out as we go. I have a feeling this may be a pretty wild deer season lol

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu