Non Lead Recommendations

Learned One

Sep 15, 2016
I have a Savage Trophy Hunter in .308 and will be going shooting Friday. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a non lead factory brand. I will be taking it out to hunt with and figured I could sight it in while I'm out. I know they all shoot differently and there are few choices. Just want to grab a box or two and hope for the best.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Reactions: DirtNapCity
I use Barnes ttsx in everything I can.(I like the cool looking blue tip) My dad is a Hornaday guy (he likes the red tip). The best thing is try a few and shoot what works best for you and your gun. but if you can’t then pick one and do your best with it.

You can't go wrong with the Barnes TTSX, however my Tikka T3x loves Hornady's GMX round (sold in under Full Boar and Superperformance).

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it. I'm going to grab it on the way out. I'll start with Barnes since it looks like the go to. I have some time just figured I would get it ready. Thanks again.

You can't go wrong with the Barnes TTSX, however my Tikka T3x loves Hornady's GMX round (sold in under Full Boar and Superperformance).
Agreed. Tikka T3X Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag and I tried Federal, Barnes and Hornady copper in the 139-140 grain range. All 3 were sub-moa capable, but my rifle clearly favored the Hornady Superformance GMX for consistency and grouping.

Don’t forget Federal Premium Trophy Copper. It is 10$ cheaper than Barnes, almost always has better ballistic coefficients and is usually just as accurate . I’d use the 165 for a .308. Buy a box from the price gouging So Cal retail store. If you like it, then buy several online and have shipped to your FFL.

I'd recommend the Hornady GMX's, I am shooting the 140gr in a Savage 116 7mm Rem Mag with pretty decent results. It'll hold just under an MOA.

So glad years ago i took to rolling my own. For those try Sinterfire non=toxic bullets. Much cheaper and definitely accomplish what you are trying for.

I reload and without fail the most accurate bullets in virtually every rifle caliber I have tested are Barnes TXS or TTSX (polymer tipped). Polymer tips do nothing for accuracy they just help expansion at slightly lower speeds. The factory loads too although they are loaded rather hot. I also like the federal premium trophy copper, they’re almost as accurate but the bullets have higher BCs so they sail a little better, and they’re loaded just a little less hot than Barnes. Don’t have experience with Nosler E-Tips yet...I had one terrible accuracy experience with Hornady GMX in my 7mm-08 and have never bought them again.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu