Not a hunter....

Kats

Jul 25, 2012
San Diego , CA.
Hello everyone,
I don't have much to contribute to this forum (yet) I have been lurking for a while and there is a lot of positive opinions and lots of great info and I have learn a lot from all of you, now I have decided to go in a journey of learning to hunt......
Many of you probably cant remember how you got started into hunting or probably you do remember how the bug was passed to you by your father or uncle, this was not my case but none the less I have been in a couple of hunting trips in the past 2 years and now I know I'm ready to start building my own knowledge so I can teach my 8 year old son.
First of all I went to Bass Pro in Rancho Cucamonga and signed for a hunters safety course , ones I completed the course I went and bought a hunting permit for waterfowl and went to Niland Ca. in search of duck with a borrowed shotgun and learned the whole process on how to enter the lottery and all that good stuff, of course I did not killed a single duck....
Also last year I had experience the hunt of black bear in Humboldt County and Mule Deer in Sonora Mexico , loved both experiences and now I'm ready to start my trophy collection.
The project started a couple of weeks ago with the very much appreciated help of FINE FIREARMS in La Mesa Ca. Cant actually pin point a person in particular because I was in the store several times doing research and every single time I talked to a different person and they ALL took the time and patience to answer all my stupid rookie questions, thank you guys!
This is what the research lead to:
IMG_2425.JPG

Its a Ruger .270 win. Scoped with a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40mm

The area to be hunted is a ranch in Sahuaripa Sonora, Mexico. (Black Dot) And will be done by horse back thru the "sierra"
mapa_vias_son.gif

In the next few days I will stat the practice process and learning all there is to learn about this set up and start learning as much as I can from this forum and the people I run into at the range, I will be updating the progress and hopefully in 7 weeks I will have the picture of my very first trophy. :)

Kats - as we spoke about today, you are going to be embarking on what I would describe as one of my all time dream hunts in North America. The Burro Deer (or cuervo) in Sonora are truly the majestic Giant of North America. I hope your dreams come true on this hunt as you will have the chance to shoot a 40" deer.

Let us know anything we can do to help you in your success. And thanks for the amazing first post. Keep us up to date on your journey...

I have heard a lot of good things about Sahuaripa Sonora, I'm sure you are going to have a blast, I can't wait to read your story and please try to shoot some video as well.

Papi

Thats what I like to see. A new hunter doing his homework! You've done it perfect from the hunter safety course to researching how to enter the waterfowl drawing. And if you did it by yourself I give you serious props! I can't say the same for a couple family members I've introduced to hunting. I'll be a little blunt but they've needed their hand held quite a bit and didn't put much effort into the needed research. I'm impressed with your efforts.

Now how in the heck are you going from new hunter to hunting the famous Sonoran mule deer in such a short period of time!!?? Good luck and again, keep us posted on that hunt!

Re: Training hunter....

Thank you all for your replies, I 'm very excited training and learning the trades of hunting I have been reading a lot and mainly watching videos in youtube there are amazing videos of hunting trips they only motivate me more.
Quick update on this journey; I headed to P2K to do my very first shot on the new rifle, great feeling! Almost like a kid on Dec 25th with a Red Ryder BB, it took me 1/2 hour to set up and be ready, I know because I was just getting comfortable to start shooting when they called the 27 minute break hahaha, I came back and finally squeezed the trigger, the shot went exactly as I expected, John at FINE FIREARMS took a really long time off his schedule and explained to me the process of breaking in a new rifle and an awesome tip on how to set the new scope, he even went as far as doing a drawing so I could learn it THANKS!
So here is a picture of what happen on the break in of the new rifle, the tip worked out just like John said it would and now I'm ready to move into just practicing grouping all the hits in the 4 center square.... (not yet)

target.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu