Oak Groves

Zachappa

Nov 4, 2018
Quick question for the wise and experienced.

I did some scouting over the weekend and stumbled on an old trail in Palomar. After a ridge, it opened up to an old Oak grove. (filled with acorns)

I think it may be a good spot in fall, but wanted to get peoples thoughts on deer behavior and oak groves.

Didn't see any fresh signs (dropped a few cams) but i'm wondering if they will come later.

keep an eye out for when the acorns are getting ripe then you may see deer in there

oh i can't wait, to see what the cams pull up. Any idea on when the acorns start to drop?

not that I needed another reason to be excited but looks like I have one... Thanks guys. I'll post camp pics once I let them soak.

Reactions: ilovesprig
You can expect a few others there come season, there are no secret spots on that mountain

not that I needed another reason to be excited but looks like I have one... Thanks guys. I'll post camp pics once I let them soak.

One other thing, if you can find a water source near that oak grove...It's pretty dry on that side of the mountain...It would be a great place for another camera.

One other thing, if you can find a water source near that oak grove...It's pretty dry on that side of the mountain...It would be a great place for another camera.
Yes, there are some small trickling creeks in that area, I put one camera on the biggest one to see where the deer would cross. (I'm hoping that it's still flowing when I check the cam)

Well aware that there are no secret spots on palomar. New to me is still new and exciting to learn more.

Update: let the cameras soak and went up and grabbed the pictures.

Saw more hunters/Hikers than deer. (not surprised, i'll probably see them on opening day)

In fact, I saw a doe and fawn a handful of times and that was all the cam's caught.

While there, I heard some noise, looked up and there was this spike.

2020-07-20_13-50-18.jpg

Always a good sign to see some action, but when i went to the area he was at, I saw a lot of really good sign, from droppings to new trails.

Then I spent some time looking at which trees were holding and I noticed a cluster of trees that were holding a lot of acorns.

Re positioned my cameras between those oaks and where I think the deer are bedding.

Cleared a few spots of dried oak leaves so I can enter the area quietly and left it so i can return and finalize my game plan for opening day.

My kinda buck right there....come on August!!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu