Oceanside Pier fishing

Hunt4lyf

Oct 9, 2017
Colorado
Anybody have any insight they can give me on fishing the pier? I'm in Carlsbad the next couple days visiting family and my nephews want to go fishing and that is probably the best place for us to go. I've got a bit of gear I brought with me, I can buy what I need but I haven't been there since I was 16 and don't know what to expect. The kids just want to fish and hopefully catch something.

Thanks!

I would go south a little way to Carlsbad and try surf fishing just south of old power plant. Get some blood worms or soft-shell crabs. You can check with local bait shops and see where to go and what to use in Oceanside.

I would go south a little way to Carlsbad and try surf fishing just south of old power plant. Get some blood worms or soft-shell crabs. You can check with local bait shops and see where to go and what to use in Oceanside.
If it were just me that’s exact what I would do but my nephews are meatheads plus they have a friend going and my daughter will probably want to go which is why I was thinking the pier, I can keep them corralled easier there.

I grew up surf fishing there and the lagoon but it’s been 30 years since I’ve done any of that.

Fresh bait is a must , shrimp works well , ( not farm raised ) squid , fresh clams , cat food . I know your thinking WTF . I have used it for years , I tie it up in a roe sack with magic thread , and I do that for scallops as well .

Reactions: Hunt4lyf
The pier won't require a fishing license, surf fishing will. Get some mussels from a jetty wall or blood worms from a tackle store and fish as close to the surf line as possible. Catch a few spotfin croaker and have a great meal. Take some sabiki rigs, if anyone gets board they can catch mackerel and other junk.

I surf the pier all the time and watch the guys fish....very rarely do I see them pull anything up. I'd look elsewhere

Just walk out far enough to get behind the surf break. Small hooks like #6 and 1/4” piece of squid. Have not seen the Croaker recently but lots of guitar fish and sting rays right now. May get into some
Perch also. Walk to the end and see if there are any maks around either in buckets or in the water. Use the Same setup for them. Good luck.

Best baiter opaleye perch is frozen green peas.

John,

Haven't heard the name Opaleye for a long time...I was raised on the LB breakwater...We used green peas and red shrimp for opaleye, Catalina blue perch, and buttermouth...Don't know if that fishery even exists these days...We quit fishing for them when we discovered (actually told by Charlie Davis) that calicos could be caught at night.

ps...Look this up...I caught 6+ lb opaleye one night and a pig & jig...Later, I looked up the record for California and it was like 6 1/2...It also stated there was like 10 or 12 lb'er caught in Mexico...Pretty sure that wasn't an opaleye.

pss...Compton Hunting & Fishing Club Breakwater Derby...1962

.scan064.jpg

Having worked for Oceanside for the last 20 years I wouldn’t be on the Pier after dark. Pacific bait and tackle in South O near the Lagoon can dial you in.

You can fish right out of the dock in front of the bathrooms by the harbor police in the harbor..if you want to corner the pack thats a perfect place.
I dont know if thats considered a "pier" for fishing license requirements..but i would imagine so.
Every time i put the boat in the water people are fishing there. And since the harbpr police is in front it should be pretty safe.

As mentioned try clam or mussel meat..just use some thread to wrap it around the hook. Seen guys do pretty well with that on that pier. Parking can be tough..take some change with you for the meters..none of the shops around will give you change

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu