Off season fun, shooting competition

Aeon

just a dude who duck hunts
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Feb 16, 2011
Can't shoot ducks in April so I got the Truck axel out and shot at a new range. Burbank Rifle and Revolver club.
This was a 600 yard midrange match. The match had sling shooters with iron sights, FTR 223 and 308 on bi pods and f-open. Strings were 20 shots in 20 min on 600 yard E targets. it can be intimidating shooting midrange with a 3" x ring and 6" 10 ring. Over all i shot ok, first match in a long time but i hope to build on it. 585 20x was my score, perfect would be 600 60x.

Gun shot was the 7 RSaum Eliseo chassis with a vortex GE 15-60 power scope, 2oz jewell trigger. Its not ideal for mid range, the dasher would have out shot it at 600 but i wanted some seat time behind the big girl for the 1000 yard match next month at the same range.

IMG-20220416-WA0007.jpg

If you look at the flags they are blowing 3 different directions. Left, right then left again :) On a deer it would not matter but hitting a 3" circle it does

IMG-20220416-WA0008.jpg

First round i screwed up pretty good. I had not shot my rifle in a year and the barrel had been cleaned and oiled. I needed more fouling shots to get it settled down. The 10 on my last sighter before going for record made me think it was good to go. I got lucky and hit a x on the first shot but the next 3 sprayed for 9s. after that it got to work and shoot good only dropping one more point.

Screenshot_20220416-133106_Chrome.jpg

This round was my best. I did drop 4 points but also got 9x's. The 9s to be honest were mostly me not managing my recoil well. I need to slow down too. Its hard to go slow when you pump a few x's

Screenshot_20220416-133032_Chrome.jpg

Last relay i kinda fell on my face. The wind had layed down but i got sloppy with my rifle and it showed.

Screenshot_20220416-140803_Chrome.jpg

so this shoot was good enough for a NRA master classification. 3 points shy of a High Master the highest ranking the nra has. in mid range you have to shoot in the 98th percentile for fclass. so a 588 is the goal next time

had some added pressure too! the magician that does my barrels was at the shoot. Mark Chesebro is just as talented on the range as the machine shop shooting his FTR rig to a great score. You can see the cool bipod he made for his 308.

20220416_091252 (1).jpg

That is awesome bill, it’s more the just engaging the bang switch that’s for dang sure.

yes i am old and soft... well kinda. been busting my ass on the mtn bike 4 days a week. 215lbs and counting :)

Billy Boy you’re always a pipe swinger in my eyes, don’t change. I’m just fighting my inner demons too. Starting to play the role of fat dad and I ain’t happy!
Thanks need a hobby!!!

It's hard to say, the reading is generated by the shotmarker system at the target. The last relay was shot on target 5 and first two were target 3. The velocity readings are sometimes dead on and sometimes not. Wind seems to mess that up. I wasn't seeing faster bullets impacting high. However I did shoot the last relay a bit faster then I wanted and that can mess with speed.

The best quote about SD readings and shotmarker are they are for entertainment purposes only...

Reactions: Lungpopper
Nice post Billy. Great to see you back on the range burning powder. The second target was nice. I bet your next shoot it will look even better!

What a difference a week makes, blustery wind for the first string gave way to wicked mirage as it warmed up. The saum is a stud in the wind but the mirage and shifting wind exposed my lack of talent in the 3rd string... Learning

Was good enough for 2nd in fclass master/mu

The big SD number is caused by the wind moving the targets FYI

shot again today......
had a nice first round before the wind and mirage kicked up. its amazing how much the mirage can make you miss! shot a 585 18x. combine that with the first match ( second match was not NRA sanctioned) and i shot a 1170 out of 1200 good enough for 97.5% and my master ranking. wonder how long it will take to get that on the nra site?

was a educational day. the second relay i really struggled the first 10 shots. Mirage was making it almost impossible to hold in the right spot. Its harder then you know to think in the middle of shooting a string. what helps with crazy bad mirage? turn your scope from high to low power. just going from 35x to 20x got me back on track and you can see i went from poo to all 10s and x's for last 9 shots.

first relay i was on fire with my first 20 shots including my sighters being perfect. the 9 i got on my 16th shot was a gut punch and kind of messed with my head a bit. Jerked the last shot bad. super funny how when you think you are about to pull a clean string you get hyper as hell.

last relay was ummm not ideal. jerked a few, blew a few and wind was doing 360's fail......

Screenshot_20220521-130756_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220521-130811_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220521-130826_Chrome.jpg

up till now i had been shooting NRA F-class in the F open division. fancy rests and bags and huge guns. At the matches there are another group the sling guys. They shoot both service rifle and match rifles with NO rests!!!!!!!!!!. Some shoot with no optics at all just pep sights either factory ar15 blade and peep or trick competition peeps with no optical magnification at all. In this group there is the any/any. Any rifle any sight. so it opens up the field to pretty much any gun you can shoot. The sling wraps around your arm and hooks to the shroud of the rifle. You more or less contort your left arm and lay down.. anyways here are the results from my first match. relay 1 i was task saturated and made a few mistakes. including turning the windage turret the wrong way the two 7s and the 6 were 100% me. i calmed the f down and shot the second half good. This is a good example of how practice does matter and having to think about to many things at one time can push you into the trash can.

The target size is 6"x ring 12" 10 ring 18" 9ring 24" 8 ring... and so on

Screenshot_20220618-115123_Chrome.jpg

second round was much much much better. The wind was giving everyone fits especially the fclass guys with the small targets but i got a decent time with the wind and shot a good score. Only dropped 3 points in this relay and felt much much better. I could tell the shots that produced the 9s the second i let it go. mostly to much tension in my arm wrapped in the sling. relax and deep breath and all is fixed

Screenshot_20220618-115059_Chrome.jpg

3rd relay was a mix of good and bad. Wind was playing hell with everyone. Ill post up the match results when the match director posts them so you can see the fall off everyone had. still shot ok. Same thing happened again though with my first 11 struggling. i stopped and reset and got my crap pointed the right way and shot a good second 10 in that string. 9s are ok but the 8s and 7s are just killers.

Screenshot_20220618-124558_Chrome.jpg

now you might have noticed the crazy SD in the 2nd relay. shotmarker speeds are shown at the target. The shot that tossed the SD off was way way way off. it shot a 10 perfect on the water line so was it off? could have been its only 600 yards do not know for sure. it felt the same but here is the shot in question. remember shotmarker speeds are a suggestion not at all close to the labradar or magnetospeed.

Screenshot_20220618-115325_Chrome.jpg

IMG_5424.jpg

IMG_5423.jpg

Reactions: Lungpopper and NBK
Great post Billy. I enjoyed reading about the detail along side of the data rich photos. Nicely done and good on you for getting out there and trying new stuff. Glad to see the Dasher getting some love!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu