OnX maps from a new hunters perspective

SocalAL

Apr 13, 2017
Anaheim
I'm sure that I am not the first person to get attacked by the hunting bug, which leads me to believe that I am not alone in saying I've been bitten by the onX bug!!

Being a new hunter I've been "rifling" through as much material on hunting as I can (pun intended), especially turkeys.o_O Now, I have absolutely zero hunting experience, nor do I have family in the state that hunt. Sooo, having something that I can use to learn areas and just land lines is killer. I do a large amount of hiking in the Angeles forest and Azusa areas, always with absolutely no idea I could hunt parts of those very areas or land not far off. Now I hike with the full intention of finding new spots, attempting to navigate the program correctly, an hopefully getting lucky one day using that info..

So I guess this is just a pointless rant by a no- nothing newbie, but...

Let's be honest here, I'm sure even you old timers that know the land like the back of your hand, still find something useful with this app. (If you have it ):p .

One question for ya,

What's your favorite use of the onX app, in regards to your hunt, scout, or both?

Thanks for helpin a young guy out,
-AL

I use ONX side by side with google earth to scout out of state areas. I have the premium membership which gives me every state. You would be surprised how much area you can eliminate by e scouting with those two tools.

Reactions: SocalAL
same as Truduct said, google earth for fine detail, onx to see if its hunt able, then I can drop waypoints the night before a scouting trip and navigate in total darkness. if I find any game I can drop an icon to help me remember. "over 50 forgot what I did yesterday"

same as Truduct said, google earth for fine detail, onx to see if its hunt able, then I can drop waypoints the night before a scouting trip and navigate in total darkness. if I find any game I can drop an icon to help me remember. "over 50 forgot what I did yesterday"

Sounds like a winning formula to me, thanks

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu