OnX Maps outside of cell coverage?

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
I love ONX Maps, but when I'm outside of cellphone coverage I lose nearly everything (it acts like it is loading with a gray screen).
Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong? I've selected the tiles for Field Use, but I must be doing something wrong like not having the tiles load.

I'll watch some videos about setting it up correctly. Most of the time in in cell coverage so this has only been an issue a few times. But there will come a time when I'm lost outside of cell coverage and I'll really need it to work with only GPS (I'm using it on an iPhone6)

I don't have Onx Maps.....Hell, I don't even have a iPhone....But, I can tell you that when I'm hunting with Jacob, his Onx Maps doesn't work either unless he's got cell service (Verizon).

Thanks.
This is what it looks like outside of cell service for me (attached).

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 32
I used the other, out of business gps Trimble on my tablet. It was easier then onyx I think. But I've switched over. It has a way to cache maps for off line use. You have to zone to what you want then hit save or cache or something. It does work and once figured out is ok ???

DanSanDiego said:
I love ONX Maps, but when I'm outside of cellphone coverage I lose nearly everything (it acts like it is loading with a gray screen).
Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong? I've selected the tiles for Field Use, but I must be doing something wrong like not having the tiles load.

I'll watch some videos about setting it up correctly. Most of the time in in cell coverage so this has only been an issue a few times. But there will come a time when I'm lost outside of cell coverage and I'll really need it to work with only GPS (I'm using it on an iPhone6)
t
you must cashse your maps for off line use, go to menu and select saved maps,scroll to area you wish to save they will be highlighted in 1square mile dries,click on each grid you want to save,they suggest no more than 10 tiles at a time,you can also rename your map the generic name will be the date, then when your out of service, go to menu at the bottom select offline button

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu