ONX USA land

Dec 7, 2022
I was wondering when on ONX it says USA and owned by USA are you able to hunt the land? Its connected to national forest. Here is a picture.
0ad08d3800cb5389ee58fa9a2c840231.jpg

f97041d8ebd588d6010da7bbbb32603b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure on this particular spot but usually when i see USA its part of a military base. Turn on the land layers and see which color it turns. If purple its a military/govt

9eae5a9ab39046447cf7c1277f15d1cb.jpg

It is on left is the USA and right is national forest

In writing for sure. My dad learned the hard way in UT not to trust what the person on the phone tells you. Even if you were told by someone who works for the department a warden will cite you for being "wrong."

Just yesterday I called CDFW and asked about a-zone tags. She repeatedly talked about a22, AO and other archery tags no matter how many times I mentioned a-zone is a zone up in central CA and they issue rifle tags. I finally ended the call and called a different office.

I am not trying to slander the people, just making sure you know to watch out. Good work on smashing the yotes by the way!

Reactions: freedom_fries91
In writing for sure. My dad learned the hard way in UT not to trust what the person on the phone tells you. Even if you were told by someone who works for the department a warden will cite you for being "wrong."

Just yesterday I called CDFW and asked about a-zone tags. She repeatedly talked about a22, AO and other archery tags no matter how many times I mentioned a-zone is a zone up in central CA and they issue rifle tags. I finally ended the call and called a different office.

I am not trying to slander the people, just making sure you know to watch out. Good work on smashing the yotes by the way!

Thank you for the advice. I usually call everywhere I’m going to since I want to be sure I’m in the green. But wasn’t sure who to call on that one lol

Thanks smashing yotes is definitely addicting especially using diaphragm calls also lol

I know a guy who has been hunting and guiding that zone for 30 plus years...ask away .

Reactions: 180ls1
I know a guy who has been hunting and guiding that zone for 30 plus years...ask away .

I appreciate that!

Those aug/sept a-zone south rifle tags do not sell out do they?

Also, I noticed the harvest success is about double any D unit south of there. I also noticed there is very little public. Is the hunting much better up there or is it all the private land giving the harvest % a boost? Is it a zoo on public?

Tags never sell out..tags for days..I would say private has alot to do with success rates... but there is a lot of public land....pozo outta Santa margarita comes to mind..especially around lake Lopez...There is public land for days off highway 33 out above ojai..cut my teeth as a young hatchet there..the areas are all still wide open in Los padres forest...make sure you are in the correct side of the highway for A zone..it turns in D13 as you get up the mountain further... Get deep and you will find bucks..

..addendum..killed my first CA buck off cuesta ridge above San Luis Obispo..ahh .those where the days!! All Public land...and still there..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu