Paid some dues on the water today.

WaterDawg

Nov 20, 2016
First offshore trip this summer. Dennis and I took the Whaler for a workout this morning. Went to the 14 first. Bumpy and cloudy, hard to spot paddies. Found one but no one home. Saw no birds, no dolphin, no fish. Went to the 277. Weather cleared up. Blue water 74 degrees. No paddies, no birds, no fish. Went up the slide and found nice water and nice paddies. No birds, no dolphin, no fish. Hit the east end of Catalina for some small calicos then back in.

Weather had multiple personality disorder today. One stretch of warm, sunny that lasted an hour. Wind was howling in the Cat channel on the way in. Got a nice long salt shower. Will get em next time.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Have not hit those spots in years used to go out with the wife’s uncle on his skip jack only had a Volvo four banger so at 12 knots a slow trip but we hit them some days and missed on others either way it sounds like you had a good trip nothing like sleeping like rock after a day on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WaterDawg
Miss those days out there. I use to go to the hmm brain fart. 10. Mile bank south west out of point Loma. Trolling till I had fish on. And hitting the patties on the way. 18 @ 1/2 cutty. 70hp Johnson. Problem now a days, lost my sea legs. Use to hit the Coronado lslands mexico. Always something to catch there. Would get my permit at squidco.. my favorite line was floral carbon nylon mix.

Reactions: WaterDawg
Miss those days out there. I use to go to the hmm brain fart. 10. Mile bank south west out of point Loma. Trolling till I had fish on. And hitting the patties on the way. 18 @ 1/2 cutty. 70hp Johnson. Problem now a days, lost my sea legs. Use to hit the Coronado lslands mexico. Always something to catch there. Would get my permit at squidco.. my favorite line was floral carbon nylon mix.
The Coronados are great. Too bad we have to file a bunch of paperwork to fish there now. Here’s an idea Trump should float: we’ll go ahead and pay for The Wall, and Mexico gives us the Coronado Islands.

Yeppers it has all changed. I was out at mission Beach last weak. Water visibility was unbelievably clear. Water was flat. Would have been a great day out. I read the sand bass bite is on. Catching so many. They have catch and release by bushel.

Salt water fishing is awesome one day you go out and the boat is covered in blood. The next day same spot same bait nothing. Can’t get them from the couch way to get out there. Those whalers are impressive

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu