Pheasant Hunting and Safety

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
Well, I am starting a new thread. So lets keep it going and if I start wrong, let me know. I am not perfect :-\

I started hunting pheasant in my twenty's, but I know there is way more hardcore guys who can explain better than I can.

Rule #1 Safety.....Nothing can destroy hunting more than poor safety habits. Always use proper etiquette when handing firearms. When walking fields, always be aware of your partners position. Never ever fire in their direction, never get over excited with hunt and maintain composure.....DO NOT SHOOT AT RUNNING OR BIRDS ON THE GROUND.....Always, and I mean always, make sure it is a safe shot. Be aware if there is some one or some thing in that direction.....Learn proper handing techniques. Like what are taught in the hunter safety class......Keep that etiquette with you forever.

Rule#2.....Study the fish and wildlife rules. Know what dates are pertinent to the game you're hunting and what the legal possession limits are.

rule #3.....Know rules # 1 & 2

Rule # 4.....Never, and I mean never, discharge a firearm nearer than is allowed by the regulation (150 yds from a barn, out buildings, or occupied dwelling)..... Read and know local laws, the no shooting areas, where it is legal, and when it is legal.

Rule# 5.....In order to keep our hunting privileges, always keep the areas clean. Pack out any shells, garbage, bottles, plastic, and debri. Nothing upsets landowners and fish and wildlife personnel more than hunters leaving garbage behind. It upsets respectful hunters..... Don't know how many times, I have followed other people cleaning up their mess.....Pack it in, pack it out.

As far as hunting techniques go...... Everyone has their favorite method, but there's no substitution for scouting....Know your game, where it likes to roost, where it likes to feed, if there is water near by and look for good cover.....Through my years, I've learned all game require these things. Find those areas and you will find the birds.

Environmental conditions, farming practices, and the density of human encroachment all affect bird populations year to year. If you're going to find them, then nothing helps more than putting the time in scouting. Knowing where to scout starts way before the season opens. Take notes of the areas with known populations.

I have been a lucky man over the years and had friends who knew this and taught me the ropes. and I never quit learning. and I don't know it all.......One of my goals is to get me a well trained dog. Watching the videos over the years, I can see that a pup is well worth the time and effort. Plus the companionship of your best friend is priceless.

I am hoping that others chime in and add to this post. I'm just touching the surface and what can be learned. Hunting ringneck pheasant is a fun and enjoyable hunting (gets you in shape too.... ;))..... Plus they're great eating.

Nothing makes my day more than to have a safe hunt, fun time, and scoring on a big rooster...... 8)

Ghost

Lee,

Thanks for starting this thread (I did a little editing)......I was raised a pheasant hunter in Southern California, if you can believe it.....My family also hunted the San Joaquin a lot too.....Orange County was loaded with pheasant in the 50's & 60's.....Then in the 70's, I moved to San Diego County.....North County was loaded too.....Then in the 90's Imperial Valley took off....It's been a great ride and they are one of my favorite upland birds.....As much as I hate the politics of Mexico, I'm so thinking of going back for the great pheasant hunting.....Here's to hoping the IV makes a comeback..... :-*

When it comes to techniques, There's no substitution for being in shape hunting the IV (well unless you're a blocker.... ;)).....Even with the best of dogs these roosters run.....Trapping them in corners is a great way to stop them as is hunting the ditches.....I personally do not hunt them without a dog. Just their worth of finding downed birds is worth their weight in gold.

Here's a few pix of typical habitat you'll be seeing in the IV....Alfalfa, wheat/weeds, ditches, sudan grass

Attachments

• pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 028.JPG
    pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 028.JPG
    587.9 KB · Views: 103
  • pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 018.JPG
    pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 018.JPG
    421.7 KB · Views: 101
  • pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 035.JPG
    pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 035.JPG
    462.6 KB · Views: 101
  • pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 030.JPG
    pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 030.JPG
    881 KB · Views: 107
  • pheasant opener 2011 022.JPG
    pheasant opener 2011 022.JPG
    913.8 KB · Views: 107
  • ducks,doves,pheasants & deer 11-10 &11 2007 011.jpg
    ducks,doves,pheasants & deer 11-10 &11 2007 011.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 362
Thanks Steve
Pics are a great visual tip., maybe we should add any links to previous post as mention by MJB.
And the average type of gear. I like to use a mod choke. My preference is the old stand by Mossberg 500. I don't use an accue choke but maybe I should. I prefer #6 shot with 2-3|4 shells. I use factory loads. Low budget but gets the job done.
A good bird vest. Good water repellent boots. And I prefer a good set of snake chaps. O ya a good hat. Keep the sun off.
I do not get caught up guchi equipment. But to each his own. I have done well with that. I been doing the hard way with out dog, and can be done but is a tougher job. I have spent hours trying to find one rooster. A well trained dog is always better. And easier.

My 2 cents.
Ghost

Reactions: Goyaałé
here is the link supplied by MJB to previous post. a lot of good information from all the pros. :-\

http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php/topic,4665.msg28326.html#msg28326

Enjoy

Ghost

Reactions: Goyaałé
i am not a pro at pheasants but rule number #1 DO NOT SHOOT THE GROUND EVER. If you hunt with me and i see you sluce a bird you will get a warning maybe, after that its excommunication time. Some poor dog gets it every year because some dude wanted to blast a rooster that ran. You can not keep track of where every dog is. Someone shoots my dog in a foreign country far from home they best run and run fast.

Last edited:
Yep Bill, it happens every year.......It's very common in the Heritage fields with planted birds (not flying).....If the bird doesn't fly, then just kick it up. It will either fly or just pick it up....And these birds normally don't jump off the ground either like a wild rooster.....Be very careful of angles, height of bird, and know where your partner or others are.

Another safety tip is.....Wear blaze orange.....I almost never wear it (Montana it's required), but I do every time pheasant hunting. I also like my hunting partner wearing it. It gives you a perspective of where their at all times.

Attachments

• DSCF1089.JPG
    DSCF1089.JPG
    860.8 KB · Views: 69
Aeon said:
i am not a pro at pheasants but rule number #1 DO NOT SHOOT THE GROUND EVER. If you hunt with me and i see you sluce a bird you will get a warning maybe, after that its excommunication time. Some poor dog gets it every year because some dude wanted to blast a rooster that ran. You can not keep track of where every dog is. Someone shoot my dog in a foreign country far from home the best run and run fast.

Bill & steve

I agree,

it should be part of rule #1 in my first post. please edit.

Ghost

Ghost said:
Aeon said:
i am not a pro at pheasants but rule number #1 DO NOT SHOOT THE GROUND EVER. If you hunt with me and i see you sluce a bird you will get a warning maybe, after that its excommunication time. Some poor dog gets it every year because some dude wanted to blast a rooster that ran. You can not keep track of where every dog is. Someone shoot my dog in a foreign country far from home the best run and run fast.

Bill & steve

I agree,

it should be part of rule #1 in my first post. please edit.

Ghost

Will do.................

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Ghost, I sent you the link to the 2013 thread just about everything was covered if someone has time there's lots of good info that should be here........

My Zoe was shot and luckily she just got a pellet under the skin hell I've got a pellet in my shin so safe shooting can't be expressed enough.......my buddy shot his own gsp when his dog was on the other side of the salt cedar when he fired. All three shooters learned a valuable lesson and everyone lived.....and yes I still hunt with all of them. It's a lot of fun to give them shit all day long about missing birds and hitting dogs and me.

The first thing I always say is "don't shoot my dogs!"

Steve,

Now the only way I will hunt the planted fields is to get there late after the stupid birds are dead. And the ground sluicers are gone. Two years ago my Arlo learned a new trick. When pheasant run he pauses to catch which way they are going and runs over and cuts them off. Beauty! They can't out run him. And his newest trick is to pressure them to fly the way he wants them to fly.

I just shoot to keep peace. If he could reach the keys I would never get to hunt.

TonyS said:
Steve,

Now the only way I will hunt the planted fields is to get there late after the stupid birds are dead. And the ground sluicers are gone. Two years ago my Arlo learned a new trick. When pheasant run he pauses to catch which way they are going and runs over and cuts them off. Beauty! They can't out run him. And his newest trick is to pressure them to fly the way he wants them to fly.

I just shoot to keep peace. If he could reach the keys I would never get to hunt.

yep DITO that's why I like the wild birds , my partner and I did with out a dog, it was tough but doable. lost one bird. a dog is the way to go.

TonyS said:
Steve,

Tony,

That would be a tremendous asset in those big green fields.

Attachments

• IMG0472_060.jpg
    IMG0472_060.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 248
  • pheasant opener 2011 024.JPG
    pheasant opener 2011 024.JPG
    848.1 KB · Views: 84
I’m a former hunter safety instructor and pheasant hunter for 40+ years. In addition I’ve owned hunting labs for 30+ years so this entire thread is of interest to me. I’m a waterfowl hunter too but my favorite is pheasant hunting with a well trained dog. For me it’s all about hunting with my dog. As is said - Preserve Game, Use A Trained Dog. In all my years of pheasant hunting I’ve only had a couple birds we couldn’t recover, thanks to great dogs. I could tell hunting stories and dog stories all day.
As far as safety, the important things have mostly been said. When I hunt with someone new I always give a little safety talk before the hunt so they know the rules And what is expected. When I hunt with people I’ve hunted with before I also give a short talk which is mostly just reminders.
If someone doesn’t follow my safety rules, the hunt is done, I don’t hunt with them again. I’m not talking about a little
mistake but instead an obvious disregard for safety. The done hunt thing only happened once.
Ive never hunted with anyone who ground sluiced a pheasant. One guy once shot a running wounded pheasant. I told him not to do that again but to let the dog get the pheasant. That is now part of my prehunt short safety talk. A lot of my prehunt talk has to do with shooting safety with respect to the dog and where the dog is at and if he is in pursuit of the bird etc.
One last thing I’ll say, wild pheasant hunting in California becoming extinct. The wild population is at an all time low in California and is getting worse. I remember 30 years ago hunting farm land, rice land in the Sacramento valley up around Colusa, Williams, Butte City etc. seeing hundreds of pheasants In a day. That same area now a days even with a pack of dogs you’ll be lucky to see a single pheasant. I talked to a California F&W biologist a couple years ago and he told me the wild pheasant population in California is devastated and he didn’t see it improving anytime in the near future. He listed numerous reasons for the decline but two of biggest reasons were farming practices (farming fence to fence with little or no pheasant habitat) and pesticides. I remember him saying that the pesticides don’t necessarily kill the pheasants but that they affect reproduction and also something about killing insects that the chicks eat and need to thrive.
Finally most California hunters hunt planted pheasant clubs now a days. I have belonged to them and hunted them but am not really a fan. I’ll give a shout out to one club that is way better than most and is as close to wild pheasanot hunting as you’ll get. That is Hastings Island Pheasant club outside of Rio Vista. No reserved fields, no “planted” birds. They have thousands of acres and it’s all free roam. They drive around the property a couple times a day and release dozens or hundreds of birds throughout the fields. These birds fly like wild birds and they will run the ditches like wild birds. You must hunt with a dog there and if you don’t have one they will rent you a fine GSP. I highly recommend it.
Anyway looks like I babbled on way more than I planned too. I apologize for this rambling disjointed discourse but pheasant hunting and dogs are me.

I’m a former hunter safety instructor and pheasant hunter for 40+ years. In addition I’ve owned hunting labs for 30+ years so this entire thread is of interest to me. I’m a waterfowl hunter too but my favorite is pheasant hunting with a well trained dog. For me it’s all about hunting with my dog. As is said - Preserve Game, Use A Trained Dog. In all my years of pheasant hunting I’ve only had a couple birds we couldn’t recover, thanks to great dogs. I could tell hunting stories and dog stories all day.
As far as safety, the important things have mostly been said. When I hunt with someone new I always give a little safety talk before the hunt so they know the rules And what is expected. When I hunt with people I’ve hunted with before I also give a short talk which is mostly just reminders.
If someone doesn’t follow my safety rules, the hunt is done, I don’t hunt with them again. I’m not talking about a little
mistake but instead an obvious disregard for safety. The done hunt thing only happened once.
Ive never hunted with anyone who ground sluiced a pheasant. One guy once shot a running wounded pheasant. I told him not to do that again but to let the dog get the pheasant. That is now part of my prehunt short safety talk. A lot of my prehunt talk has to do with shooting safety with respect to the dog and where the dog is at and if he is in pursuit of the bird etc.
One last thing I’ll say, wild pheasant hunting in California becoming extinct. The wild population is at an all time low in California and is getting worse. I remember 30 years ago hunting farm land, rice land in the Sacramento valley up around Colusa, Williams, Butte City etc. seeing hundreds of pheasants In a day. That same area now a days even with a pack of dogs you’ll be lucky to see a single pheasant. I talked to a California F&W biologist a couple years ago and he told me the wild pheasant population in California is devastated and he didn’t see it improving anytime in the near future. He listed numerous reasons for the decline but two of biggest reasons were farming practices (farming fence to fence with little or no pheasant habitat) and pesticides. I remember him saying that the pesticides don’t necessarily kill the pheasants but that they affect reproduction and also something about killing insects that the chicks eat and need to thrive.
Finally most California hunters hunt planted pheasant clubs now a days. I have belonged to them and hunted them but am not really a fan. I’ll give a shout out to one club that is way better than most and is as close to wild pheasanot hunting as you’ll get. That is Hastings Island Pheasant club outside of Rio Vista. No reserved fields, no “planted” birds. They have thousands of acres and it’s all free roam. They drive around the property a couple times a day and release dozens or hundreds of birds throughout the fields. These birds fly like wild birds and they will run the ditches like wild birds. You must hunt with a dog there and if you don’t have one they will rent you a fine GSP. I highly recommend it.
Anyway looks like I babbled on way more than I planned too. I apologize for this rambling disjointed discourse but pheasant hunting and dogs are me.
WD I like you more a already brother, we are history. :)

When your pointer goes on point, never shoulder your gun over the dog in anticipation of a flush. Always wait for bird to flush and get clear away from dog. some younger dogs with less training have a tendency to jump to try to catch bird.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu