Places for hunting.

jaegermus2

Oct 5, 2012
I'm a relative noob to the hunting scene - I've been varmint hunting once and turkey hunting once. I'm interested in upland game, rabbit, turkey, waterfowl, and pig hunting. However, I have very little knowledge of places to to hunt in southern for central California. Any pointers or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks!

Thank you for the welcomes. I live in North Hollywood (LA County) but am willing to travel up to 6 hours for a good hunting spot.

Thanks, I know the general areas but am having trouble finding actual spots (either public or private) that are both open to hunting and not crowded with people who, to put it nicely, don't care where they are shooting (I nearly got shot on my last turkey hunt from some guy target shooting up the hill). I'm open to suggestions, and thanks.

jaegermus2 said:
Thanks, I know the general areas but am having trouble finding actual spots (either public or private) that are both open to hunting and not crowded with people who, to put it nicely, don't care where they are shooting (I nearly got shot on my last turkey hunt from some guy target shooting up the hill). I'm open to suggestions, and thanks.

You just need to get out there and explore. I am personally self taught. Never had someone to show me the ropes. Experience over time has helped me get better. My hunting partner and I now constantly look for new areas to try out. We look at maps and satellite/ 3d images to help us find new areas. During the off season (really there is no "off season") we scout for huntable areas.

Get yourself a forest map for your particular area and study it. I'm sure I've said this once before on another topic but really its putting in the miles. Part of the fun isn't just going out there opening morning and hoping to score. Its the preseason hiking, scouting, equipment testing....The excitement build up for hunting season!

By doing this you'll get to know an area and where the hunter density is and is not. Public land hunting always has it challenges. Its what you make of it.....

Good luck...

Welcome to the site Jaegermus2 I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for here!

Papi

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu