Places to pattern new waterfowl loads

Kbird22

Apr 19, 2020
Hello all,

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or somewhere else but as it's for duck season its going here.

I've been looking for some land to pattern my shotgun with a new choke and new duck loads. Ive seen some BLM land on OnX but if anyone has some good recommendations either reply here or private message me. It would be greatly appreciated!

Can't wait for dove and duck openers!

Reactions: ilovesprig
k-22,

Depending on where you live, there's a number of BLM pieces around San Diego east county...There's also the desert edges in the IV, if you're out there scouting...May look around at some trap ranges and see if they have a board that's available to the public.

Here's a duck pattern I did a few years back and something to judge your pattern by...This IMO is perfect...Benelli SBE 26" barrel, with a standard modified choke.

Kent 3" 1 1/4 oz #3's...1450 fps.....I have since switched to the 3" 1 1/8 oz 3's...1560 fps.....Needed to speed it up some, the older I get...lol

.016.JPG

Reactions: Kbird22
There are recreational shooting sites in the national forests, they would be a good place to pattern your shotgun. The sites are free to use, but remember to bring stands for your targets.

There are recreational shooting sites in the national forests, they would be a good place to pattern your shotgun. The sites are free to use, but remember to bring stands for your targets.

Don't know about all national forests, Cleveland states you must be in pursuit of game to shoot...Although, I do know folks go up Aguanga Ridge and shoot...Not sure it's legal though.

Cleveland is under fire restrictions right now. Not a good idea to go shooting.
The way I read this. If it doesn’t change there may not be a deer season 36C3C41E-1E1B-4EB8-9F6D-86468A4915FD.jpeg

If you're near San Bernardino County they have a great shooting map online. Tells you where you can shoot and what you can shoot and if you can shoot target or just game. It's like 10 years old but since it's on the county government web site and they haven't replaced it with a new one I figure it's still pretty accurate. Just use some common sense and if an area says it open to shooting but now has a lot of houses around maybe that area isn't accurate on the map. http://cms.sbcounty.gov/portals/1/fishandgame/2010_cnty_shooting_areas_final.pdf

One thing I forgot to mention is, there is a phone number on the San Bernardino NF website for checking the fire restrictions for individual shooting sites.

The fire restrictions for CNF just apply to target shooting, not hunting. It's a year round target shooting restriction down here on Cleveland. BLM is seasonal for target shooting closures.

Reactions: ilovesprig
no clue if they are open right now with fire restrictions but you can target shoot. SBNF is not as restrictive as the CNF is. I do not use them because you can not shoot 1k at any of them to best of my knowledge.

The sportsman clu
no clue if they are open right now with fire restrictions but you can target shoot. SBNF is not as restrictive as the CNF is. I do not use them because you can not shoot 1k at any of them to best of my knowledge.

So the Sportsman's club is open year round. If you go during public shooting hours 10-2 weekends. of course that is a range, but cheap ($10 I think) and laid back. Last time I saw a kid there with a range finder said it was about 350 to the deepest point. The spot off 330 is open season, not sure you could get 1k but definitely some range if you have a 4x4 and go back deep enough. I was thinking more for his question about shotgun shooting than long range. And yes, there are fire restrictions so check first!

The fire restrictions for CNF just apply to target shooting, not hunting. It's a year round target shooting restriction down here on Cleveland. BLM is seasonal for target shooting closures.
How sure are you on this?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu