Playing in D15

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Finally a day off and wanted to try for a surf and turf. I have been wanting to try it for awhile but it was either an oil spill and the beach was closed or a fire and the forest was closed. Plan was to fish and then head to the forest for some bow hunting for coyotes. Got setup at the first spot and it was red Alge soup, Line would hold for 5 minutes and then start washing its self up on shore. Packed it in after a half hour and jumped about 5 miles away.

8.png

Was going to have to hike in to get to the clear water so left all the gear in the car and headed out with just a backpack and the short rod. The fishing hut was worth the walk, and it had a built in rod holder.

1.png

Worked the shallow water for about an hour then walked over to the rocks.

2.png

still no fish but the scenery is awesome, hidden gem for sure. I have seen whales breach 60 yards away in the past.

3.png

Hiked it back out wearing the stripe. Got some bites but no hook ups. Headed to the house for some food then out the back door.

4.png

Got to my first set with about two hours of light left. Got set up and started calling, gave it about 30 minutes of some jack rabbit distress and moved on, my decoy was barely spinning.

5.png

Got setup again and my decoy batteries were dead so used a dove flutter decoy I had in my pack. Better than nothing and I did manager to get the black birds circling around but other than that nada.

6.png

Lots of water out there, I am guessing everything is spread out pretty well. Bush wacked my way through and have a trail made to another ridge I have been wanting to get up on, if I had more time before dark I would of started heading up it. Going to have to save that for another day.

7.png

I did drop a few cameras. Back to the grind tomorrow, hoping to make it to D16 Next week to get me a gobbler.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu