Possible mountain lion around Cal State San Marcos

msailor

Jan 30, 2014
San Diego
My daughter sent me this. Wonder if fish and game will do anything....
c33c302b40a955a96de1c8009cde5d18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh (Flydown Custom Calls) hasn't posted about it, but he had a harrowing experience with a big cat 3 days ago while deer hunting with his bow on MCC...Eyeball to eyeball and no back down from the cat at 10 yds...In fact, it crotched and came at him...Hopefully, he'll chime in on the whole experience.

Steve, I would say maybe have a talk with Frank and ask him to advise members to carry bear spray (more cash flow in his pocket to run the operation) and that it would help him to keep his members safe. IMO if at the moment that happened and Josh had the opportunity to spray the cat he may have had a chance to give it a lesson. Maybe Frank can set up a program where they can " rent" bear spray and if not used just pay a loaner fee rather than pay for replacement. Yea I know they strike from the blind side of their quarry but I have also read about many of these encounters where the cat squared off with the human and shyed away. Personally for me living up here I don't worry too much about being around the property because of all the dogs we have on hand at any one time and the noise they make but when I wander off to the quiet spaces I keep it in mind and look behind myself frequently because I have seen evidence of their presence. I have caught them on camera more times over the years than I can count but once again have never "seen" one with my own eye's here (other places yes). Since I came up in 2006 to Mesa Grande I have come to believe that they are here and you just don't see them. I think that when they attack humans they are either sick and starving or just misidentify their target (humans just don't taste as good as deer). I've been here for over fifteen years and have found very little evidence physically of their presence other than the dozen trail cams and prints they leave on and off my property (I have been tracking via camera three above lake Henshaw over the past few years). I would advise others to not let this be a factor in exploring the local mountains but just keep it tucked it into your basic wildernes survival knowledge.

I’d love to have a conversation with a biologist on mountain lions on the podcast.

Agreed. I had a convo with my co-workers this week and they all believed that mountain lions were endangered :/. So much mis-information

Stik, Ask Sprig if he can recommend any biologists to speak about this ( I'm guessing no if they want to keep their jobs). I have my own experiences with it and how a warden who gave me a green light on an issue and then backed down and a biologist who is now retired told me that if he spoke out he would be risking his pension if he opposed the proposed agenda if his science was opposed as well as how the regulators writing the law had no interest in science that he was producing because it was being filtered to the public to gain on the agenda of the goverence in office. Go figure... I encourage to try and find a state fish and wildlife biologist that would speak out on this. Hell I'll pay for their gas money and hotel fee's if you can get that done.

Josh (Flydown Custom Calls) hasn't posted about it, but he had a harrowing experience with a big cat 3 days ago while deer hunting with his bow on MCC...Eyeball to eyeball and no back down from the cat at 10 yds...In fact, it crotched and came at him...Hopefully, he'll chime in on the whole experience.

Where is MCC ?

spray? If he is comming to me at 10 yds I shoot it with the bow is not a pet he didnt want to play.

I’d love to have a conversation with a biologist on mountain lions on the podcast.

I have a buddy here is San Diego who oversees several biologist for CDFW. He has work for several states and has a wealth of knowledge. PM if you want his contact info.

So today I was in Laguna installing new treestand , so i start hiking 6:20 am another hunter go by the other way with longbow i looking if the trail have any deer tracks , just bikes and people tracks , then I forgot some stuff on my truck so need back for finish the job and I found that I was stalking by lion but never see him fresh track over my tracks al the way out also near to my truck.

.IMG_3633[1].JPGIMG_3631[1].JPGIMG_3632[1].JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
So today I was in Laguna installing new treestand , so i start hiking 6:20 am another hunter go by the other way with longbow i looking if the trail have any deer tracks , just bikes and people tracks , then I forgot some stuff on my truck so need back for finish the job and I found that I was stalking by lion but never see him fresh track over my tracks al the way out also near to my truck.
I strongly doubt those are lion tracks, mountain lions are extremely endangered and there are only 4 left in the state.

Time to install a rear view mirror on the bill of your cap.
:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:
It the second time this happen to me in laguna tracks was not big ones so maybe young kitty , I was doing a lot of noise with the treestand on my back , but never look back. super hot day 56 at 6:00 am this year the weather is warmer than last year.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu