Post-Mortem D zone.

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
I thought this might be a good time to discuss what worked and what didn't work in your hunting season.

I will start by saying that I prefer to do somewhat of backcountry hunts, I try to find a bigger buck. I passed on a couple of forkys the previous years but honestly, I don't know if I will do that again. The deer are just hard to find around here.

I hunted 2 D zones. One of them D16. I will admit that I did not spend much time scouting D16 this year, I just did not have the time. I saw the least amount of deer I have seen so far compared to the last 3yrs in both zones. I did hunt hard though I was out there almost every Friday afternoon, Sat and Sunday. I even hunted on a Wednesday a couple of times.

The one zone I know well and where I had opportunities in the past, was a ghost town until the very end of the season. I could not hunt the last few days of the season but people I know told me the deer was just starting to show up. As of matter of fact, the biggest deer that was taken in the area that I saw a picture of was in a place where I was hunting just a couple of days before, literally within a few hundred yards of where I was posted.

It seems to me that this year I ran into some things I think contributed to the deer being bedded most of the day. High winds was one of them, and somehow it was always super bright the night before (full moon). I glassed more than in other years but still could not find a buck. I covered a lot of ground moving from spot to spot thinking I just might be in the wrong place, but still, I could not find deer. Plenty of tracks still around but not fresh poop.

The good news is that I saw different hunting spots. Spots I have heard about but that I would avoid since they are popular and I don't care for crowds. The spots looked great with awesome terrain yet no game around, again very windy.
The other good news is that I lost 8lbs..lol which of course I am working on putting back as we get into the holiday season.

As it relates to my gear and setup. For the most part, I am very happy with it. I am a minimalist but still make sure I got everything I need with me. The one thing it has added weight to my pack is the 15x56 Vortex binos I use for glassing. I carry my 10x42 on my chest. I wish I could just leave one home but when the deer are not around the 10x42 are just not enough for glassing longer distances. Other than that, no need to buy more or replace anything.

If there is something i would do differently for next year is look at the moon phase and the winds, and perhaps stay home those days. More scouting would not hurt.

How was your season hunting public land?

Reactions: 180ls1
It has been many many years since I trophy hunted. For me it's all about the meat. I really hate doing most anything in the wind, and for the most part it makes any attempt at hunting and fishing and most anything else a waste of time.

Reactions: sportyg
Wg,

I think overall it was little tougher season...I know a lot of good 16'ers that didn't get bucks...The best "40 acres" in San Diego was practically void of deer, not just bucks (i saw one little forky)...

MCC wasn't bad...Despite doing deer counts up until near the opener and only seeing one MCC legal (3x2 or better)...There were 15 bucks taken on Vista property...No bucks were taken in Dyche or Will valleys on Palomar...Forkies can be taken on MCC, if the shooter deems that it will never be better than a forky...I think there were 3 taken during the season, with one being a dink...MCC archery can take forks...So, that season continues till Dec 31st.

ps...I did manage to get this "Management" buck before I left for Texas.... ;)

.IMG_7529.JPGIMG_7534.JPG

Wg,

I think overall it was little tougher season...I know a lot of good 16'ers that didn't get bucks...The best "40 acres" in San Diego was practically void of deer, not just bucks (i saw one little forky)...

MCC wasn't bad...Despite doing deer counts up until near the opener and only seeing one MCC legal (3x2 or better)...There were 15 bucks taken on Vista property...No bucks were taken in Dyche or Will valleys on Palomar...Forkies can be taken on MCC, if the shooter deems that it will never be better than a forky...I think there were 3 taken during the season, with one being a dink...MCC archery can take forks...So, that season continues till Dec 31st.

ps...I did manage to get this "Management" buck before I left for Texas.... ;)

.View attachment 56848View attachment 56849
Good one to take stevo...it still bamboozles me that there are those ignorant wanna be wildlife biologists/game managers out there that believe age is in antler points...LOL..that's a great buck to harvest...he would never be anything than a Forky..and a Nice Forky to Boot!! Long live the 16!!! And the Forky!!!

Good one to take stevo...it still bamboozles me that there are those ignorant wanna be wildlife biologists/game managers out there that believe age is in antler points...LOL..that's a great buck to harvest...he would never be anything than a Forky..and a Nice Forky to Boot!! Long live the 16!!! And the Forky!!!

Thanks Matty...I actual thought this was a buck (3x2) I'd been hunting for a couple of weeks...Similar in size, but had a 3rd point...The old eyes aren't what they used to be at dark-thirty in the evening... ;)

There's actually a pretty good story with this guy...And, you and #2 would be proud....I hunted doves in the morning with my SIL (dove opener)...I didn't pull the trigger...We then hunted deer for awhile...Jacob then went home with my daughter after breakfast...I decided to stay.

I went back in the afternoon to the same zone, but a little farther east...Doves were flying good and after bagging 4 or 5, I see legs in the oak trees...Maybe, 80 yards in front of me...Sure enough, it's a doe and she's hot footing it...About that time, I see the 2nd deer and it's this buck on the full sprint after her...Of course, I assumed there'd be no deer there with all the dove shooting...So, no rifle...I run back to my truck for the rifle, but he's 3/4's way across a big meadow...Too far for this old guy...Cody (Jacob's bud) is on the other side of the big meadow, see's him, and tries to get up on him...He's gonzo.

I continue to shoot doves and get my limit at about 4:30 (sundown was at 4:45)...I decide I'd drive over to the other side of the meadow at about 4:50...I see a doe below me and she's being chased...I work my way thru the brush and I see him and her...She runs thru a opening at about 70 yds and when he hits that same opening...Kapooowww!...I drag him to the road and Cody helps me load him up...The rest is 6.5 CM history...:joy:

A limit of doves and a limit of bucks...Not bad for SoCal..............:yum

IMG_7525.JPGIMG_7532.JPG

Hell ya man..perfect so ca hunt!! Love it!

I found this year tough compared to prior years. I also wasn't very dedicated despite pushing further in than the vast majority of hunters (probably what everyone says lol) when I did go out.

Contrary to you, I should have spent less time scouting and more time hunting.

Anybody try driving the roads... alot? Just a thought?
I hunted hard for about 10 days...10-15 miles a day, in good(and steep) deer country but it never happened. One day I blew a buck out of his bed coming in, then 30min later a doe saw me from about 100 and I was boned. Told my buddy "lets road hunt by my place until the evening hunt" killed a doe 15 min from my front door. About 20 yards from the truck..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu