Practice makes... better..

SDLIVIN

Oct 26, 2018
After things cooled off this afternoon went to the archery range / backyard to get some slings in....
Getting better.
Try to get at least 1 good session in per weekend.
Damn bunny in the pic didn't even tweak an ear to arrows flying 4' above it's head.
All of me not to take it out.
20190803_184512_resized[2499].jpg20190803_184452_resized[2498].jpg20190803_184346_resized[2497].jpg

RE: "All of me not to take it out."

Wooo Yes I Feel You!

That struggle is real Ma Brutha !!!

Reactions: SDLIVIN
Question, how far are you from your target? I'm guessing 30-35-ish?

What's your draw weight set to?

I'd have figured those arrows would be much deeper into that target at that distance. Are those kind of targets unusually good at preventing deep penetration or something?

Or are you rockin' some special kinda field-head that stops it from penetrating deeply?

(I'm just basing this on how deeply my field-tips sink thru 4 layers of garage floor mat and hay-bail. I consider 30yds my minimum because any closer the penetration gets WAY burdensome for yanking the arrows outta that hay-bale because they'll penetrate thru the conveyor-belt flap on the other side of the hay-bale.)

Last edited:
Dude...just straight up good shooting..keep it up..never let the overthinking take over... the over thinker always loses...stay the course. Post him when you kill him!

Reactions: Aeon and SDLIVIN
25yds / 75'
55# draw weight. Forgot draw length.
Nothing special on arrows, field tips, or target. They sink maybe 8"
12" if you ask my wife...
I think they are a light-medium arrow/tip weight. Will be looking to go towards a heavier arrow set-up for more kinetic impact.
I've read 2 varying trains of thought on that. .. speed vs impact.

Now you know why I shoot my old school thick shafts

Awesome shooting James (assuming that is your name)!
as for your anomaly 'flyers', I noticed this as well, I now mark each of my arrows with a different # on the fletching. If I am consistently seeing one do the same thing, I will pull it from the group.
Are you practicing your hunting arrows/blades as well?

Awesome shooting James (assuming that is your name)!
as for your anomaly 'flyers', I noticed this as well, I now mark each of my arrows with a different # on the fletching. If I am consistently seeing one do the same thing, I will pull it from the group.
Are you practicing your hunting arrows/blades as well?
My name's Randy. Hahaha just kidding, ya my name's James.
Ya sometimes I pull an arrow from the bunch if I get a bad feeling about it too, then take it to the shop and ask their opinion, or put new fletchings on it.
Right now, I'm still all practice tips. I don't think I'll put broad heads on it till just before the season starts. Tuning my bow for these practice tips and trusting my tuning has taken so long that I don't wanna move anything anymore haha. That's probably the biggest reason why I'm not shooting broad heads yet.

My name's Randy. Hahaha just kidding, ya my name's James.
Ya sometimes I pull an arrow from the bunch if I get a bad feeling about it too, then take it to the shop and ask their opinion, or put new fletchings on it.
Right now, I'm still all practice tips. I don't think I'll put broad heads on it till just before the season starts. Tuning my bow for these practice tips and trusting my tuning has taken so long that I don't wanna move anything anymore haha. That's probably the biggest reason why I'm not shooting broad heads yet.

Use the rage NC hypos or the Sevr’s, they fly just like field tips

Yo need to shoot the practice fake broadheads that came with broadheads. It must shoot the same as the field tips. If not your bow is not tuned properly..
Broadheads and field tips must shoot the same.

Reactions: QuePasaJames

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu