Preparing for Dusky Grouse

Warning, long read. This year we will return to the ranch where I shot my bull last year, but my dad will be the one with the bull tag. Last year we saw grouse both in the open near the road and in the timber. The grouse in the open may have been sage grouse, I’m not completely certain. But being that no one hunts grouse on that ranch as far as I know, I wouldn’t surprised if the duskies hang out in groups in the open as well. The ranch sits near the edge of sage grouse range so I’m not sure if they’re on the property, but I know theres dusky grouse. Sage grouse hunting is closed in that area. I will have to ask the outfitter if I can hunt dusky grouse if my dad shoots a bull and we have time left over. I would take either my 12 gauge 1100 or a 16 gauge 870 wingmaster, with size 6 or 7.5 shot. I think it would be a good idea to bring both since the 1100 I use for ducks had a nervous breakdown on the last day of the season, and my upland 1100 is close in age. Since a shotgun is better than a 22 rifle for close range grouse, I’ve been thinking about the effectiveness of a rimfire handgun for grouse that are outside of shotgun range. I’m considering a 22 wmr or a 17 hmr, I assume they will have better accuracy than a 22 lr because they’re faster. A Ruger single six in either caliber looks appealing. The plan would be to have a sling for the shotgun and carry the revolver in a holster. In the event that I can’t get close enough to a grouse for my shotgun, I would take a shot with the revolver. My reason for posting this is to ask two questions.First, I’m not experienced with shooting handguns, my only experience is shooting a Glock a couple times. With practice over the summer, do you think I could become accurate enough with a revolver to hit a grouse beyond shotgun range? What would be your estimate for the furthest yardage I could hit a grouse consistently? There are variables of course, but I’m just trying to get a sense of whether this would be worth the time and money it would involve. Second, would the higher velocity of the 17 hmr give it potential for tighter groups than the 22 wmr? My other concern about the 17 hmr is that its higher velocity coupled with the design of most of the bullets its chambered in could result in wasted meat. But, if I manage to hit the neck area, I imagine I wouldn’t lose much meat if any. Also, are there any sights you would recommend for this purpose other than the ones it comes with. If I go through with this plan, practice on jackrabbits beforehand would be a must.
That's not long. You ever read Gdogs, AKA Larry. I'm talking war and peace long. How about fragmentation grenades. You know when you have to be certain.

That's not long. You ever read Gdogs, AKA Larry. I'm talking war and peace long. How about fragmentation grenades. You know when you have to be certain.
This!!! Also..wonder what the "outfitter" will charge you for a bird? If it's more than 5 bucks....id pass..it's a grouse dude. Also....I miss Larry...but hunter has potential with this post...

This!!! Also..wonder what the "outfitter" will charge you for a bird? If it's more than 5 bucks....id pass..it's a grouse dude. Also....I miss Larry...but hunter has potential with this post...
I say outfitter, buts its one guy that the oil company hired to be the ranch manager, he plans on keeping the prices low and invitation only, so he can have the same guys come hunt year after year. I would be surprised if he charges for grouse, he’s not even charging me to go along on my dad’s hunt this year. We were really lucky to be invited to hunt on this ranch with great guides and a great guy running it.

I’m a bit of a Civil War fan, a cannon loaded with canister shot towed behind a Polaris ought to put a few grouse on the table.

They do covey up, but most grouse are in small bevies (1-5 birds)...I shot blue (spruce), ruffed, and sharptail grouse this past fall in Montana...Only sharpies coveyed up like quail.

Reactions: Hunter527

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu