Processing time

Do you process your own game

• Total voters
I used to. Time is money and I have a great processor. I did do a quarter on an elk last month and it wore me out. Ed F

Reactions: NBK and TRICER
If a good processor is available it goes there. If not do it myself. By the way there are very few good processors in San Diego. It’s a dying trade.

I do it myself as well, but I am very particular. Just did one; vacuum sealed, labeled and wet aging in the fridge as we speak. I had one processed for me before and I was not impressed.

Reactions: CAL'NDN
It's against the law to bring bones and brains into the state so it has to boned out and skull capped before crossing into California.
This is not true.

California only prohibits hunters from importing or possessing carcasses with a skull or backbone still attached.

"You can import meat with no part of the spinal column, brain or head attached. You can also bring in a clean skull plate without a single iota of brain tissue present. Also allowed are hides and capes, antlers, finished taxidermy mounts and upper canine teeth. In all cases, the spinal column, brain tissue must be removed."

There's nothing wrong with bringing bone in quarters across the state line. I do it multiple times most years. Also prior to leaving I blast the skulls / brain cavity clean so they are legal for entry as well.

This is not true.

California only prohibits hunters from importing or possessing carcasses with a skull or backbone still attached.

"You can import meat with no part of the spinal column, brain or head attached. You can also bring in a clean skull plate without a single iota of brain tissue present. Also allowed are hides and capes, antlers, finished taxidermy mounts and upper canine teeth. In all cases, the spinal column, brain tissue must be removed."

There's nothing wrong with bringing bone in quarters across the state line. I do it multiple times most years. Also prior to leaving I blast the skulls / brain cavity clean so they are legal for entry as well.
Pretty sure the spine is a bone, same with the skull, so yeah it's true.

law wise you cannot bring wild animals with brain or spinal matter intact into Cali
According to California Code of Regulations Title 14 Section 712 only cervids are regulated (Deer, Elk, Moose, Caribou etc.). Bovids are not (Pronghorn/Antelope, Sheep, Mountain Goat Bison etc.). Studies have shown bovids are not carriers of CWD.

Restriction of Importation of Hunter-Harvested Deer and Elk Carcasses.​

It is unlawful to import, or possess any hunter harvested deer or elk (cervid) carcass or parts of any cervid carcass imported into the State, except for the following body parts:
  • (a) portions of meat with no part of the spinal column, brain or head attached (other bones, such as legs and shoulders, may be attached).
  • (b) hides and capes (no spinal column, brain tissue or head may be attached).
  • (c) clean skull plates (no brain tissue may be present) with antlers attached.
  • (d) antlers with no meat or tissue attached, except legally harvested and possessed antlers in the velvet stage are allowed, if no meat, brain or other tissue is attached.
  • (e) finished taxidermy mounts with no meat or tissue attached (antlers in the velvet stage are allowed if no meat, brain or other tissue is attached).
  • (f) upper canine teeth (buglers, whistlers, ivories).

Reactions: CAL'NDN
I think what muley buck is saying is he brings the quarters back and then takes the back strap and brings it back, but leaves the spine and brain material In the field of whatever state he is hunting. I do the exact same thing and it’s 100 percent legal. Otherwise how would you bring back your antlers with the skull plate? After you shoot an animal out of state do you leave the antlers there since the antlers are connected to the “skull bone” ?

Yes and no. I do what makes sense to get the best quality of meat...on my bull hunt this year since I got it day 1 I decided to take him to a butcher. I am processing my cow elk.

Reactions: TRICER
Oh I bought this as an oversized cutting board and it works great.

440EC65E-F7A8-40B7-B7DF-069390602AEF.jpeg

Hate to touch that stuff...i write the check.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu