Public Gobbler

CLarson757

Dec 29, 2019
Been a little down on myself. Last season I hunted my ass off for spring turkey and deer. Two different states. Had a lot of close calls but it was a year of tag soup for me minus some quail. Took a lot of good lessons away from last year but it feels better with something in the freezer.

Woke up early with no intention of going out at all. Couldn’t sleep and I wasn’t going to be hunting the rest of the week. Said screw it. Scrambled my gear and got to a spot I’ve seen a few birds. My buddy and his boy shot a bird in the same area the day before. Higher winds and I wasn’t confident I’d see anything let alone hear a Tom in the higher winds.

Started my hike in and was halfway to the area I wanted to go and I was surrounded by roosted hens. I could hear two gobblers in the distance but I didn’t want to spook anything. I threw down against a tree and within an hour a hen flew down right in front of me but landed far out of sight. Then another hen behind me. I could hear the Tom’s going off but I was pinned down. Next thing I know, a tom let off just 40-50 yards from me.

I wasn’t calling when they flew down. I made a few really soft cuts and yelps before fly down. When that tom flew down, he landed just 30-40 yards behind a bush in my line of sight. He was full strut walking away. Then he hooked around and I let the Mossberg eat!

Pics weren’t really telling but he was a beautiful bird. Now it’s back to the grind. Good luck this season everyone.28F195C7-B2AD-4CEB-B062-1E737CD63ADE.jpeg2698020F-A88B-4D0F-8EB0-C4A4C92CE259.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Post um when you drop um..I like the 410 to the head.. KAPOOW!

Last edited:
Reactions: CLarson757
Been a little down on myself. Last season I hunted my ass off for spring turkey and deer. Two different states. Had a lot of close calls but it was a year of tag soup for me minus some quail. Took a lot of good lessons away from last year but it feels better with something in the freezer.

Woke up early with no intention of going out at all. Couldn’t sleep and I wasn’t going to be hunting the rest of the week. Said screw it. Scrambled my gear and got to a spot I’ve seen a few birds. My buddy and his boy shot a bird in the same area the day before. Higher winds and I wasn’t confident I’d see anything let alone hear a Tom in the higher winds.

Started my hike in and was halfway to the area I wanted to go and I was surrounded by roosted hens. I could hear two gobblers in the distance but I didn’t want to spook anything. I threw down against a tree and within an hour a hen flew down right in front of me but landed far out of sight. Then another hen behind me. I could hear the Tom’s going off but I was pinned down. Next thing I know, a tom let off just 40-50 yards from me.

I wasn’t calling when they flew down. I made a few really soft cuts and yelps before fly down. When that tom flew down, he landed just 30-40 yards behind a bush in my line of sight. He was full strut walking away. Then he hooked around and I let the Mossberg eat!

Pics weren’t really telling but he was a beautiful bird. Now it’s back to the grind. Good luck this season everyone.
Nice bird, impressive beard.

great job, good think you had a change of heart and got after it congrats
Just happened to wake up at 4. Check my work schedule. Scramble to the spot! Definitely can’t believe that it worked out the way it did on a whim

Reactions: sportyg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu