Quail and rabbits.

Quail7-08

Oct 24, 2018
D13 Jumped 3 coveys. Birds are educated, busted far out and are hard to refind. Only 2. I was using number 5 and didn’t like how it performed, gonna stick with number 7. Quiet birds, No calling. Noticed rabbits like to hang out with the quail.

.E86739BD-B055-4E3E-8A29-9E43EF5CAB0F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good effort! They do tend to make good neighbors. I’ve been using steel shot when hunting quail for that reason. Next season, of course, it’s all steel.

Nice Job Q 7-08 ! Some heavy snow in that area , will bring fresh birds down .

D13 Jumped 3 coveys. Birds are educated, busted far out and are hard to refind. Only 2. I was using number 5 and didn’t like how it performed, gonna stick with number 7. Quiet birds, No calling. Noticed rabbits like to hang out with the quail.

.View attachment 37494
For rabbits and pheasants I like using 12 gauge 2 3/4 #4, #5, #6
But in lead. Tried steel shot #4 at pheasant seemed to work well.
But no one else around
I take down to #6 & #7 when lots of Hunters. Quail and dove

Last edited:
Anyone ever try using a metal detector? I'm getting back into hunting after a long break but have been metal detecting for a few years. I was thinking a pipointer would work great for finding any leftover pellets.

I have never really had an issue.
When processing big or small game, I just cut out the shot meat. Rinse well in cold water.
Never let the gut bile get on the meat. Debone solves that. But I like to gut them an inspect the innards. For disease.

Very cool. My round of choice for quail is fiochi 7.5 high brass 1.25oz it reaches out and touches them. Now that the lead is going away I still have to figure it out for CA. Good thing I hunt a lot more upland in AZ spraying lead everywhere.

Gonna be a lot of dental visits by hunters next year. If you've ever bit into steel shot, you know what I mean...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I was thinking about that. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to detect steel pellets within the game since i'ts a Ferrous metal and thus has magnetic attraction?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu