Quail hunting got me this....

Baldkrash

Aug 4, 2013
Blanked on quail, but got my first rabbit. Gagged a bit when cleaning it. Any ideas on recipes?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: Moves
That's not just any rabbit........That's a jack rabbit.......Most folks don't eat them......I would just filet the back straps. Pound with spiked mallet, bread/season, and deep fry.

Congrats on the big butt........... ;D

ps...........No need for those gloves......... :eek:

ilovesprig said:
That's not just any rabbit........That's a jack rabbit.......Most folks don't eat them......I would just filet the back straps. Pound with spiked mallet, bread/season, and deep fry.

Congrats on the big butt........... ;D

ps...........No need for those gloves......... :eek:

Ha ha...I did not have the heart to chime in. Thanks Steve!

Nice job on your first rabbit! You have to start somewhere. Looked like a nice area you were hunting.

I second the teriyaki. I use it on lots of stuff I'd rather not eat. I also brine it for 8-12 hours in salt and soy sauce. I know not got for me but it makes jack taste better.

Nice job btw. They are not easy to get. Very fast suckers.

Jacks are great but they need a bit more effort. I recommend a simple salt brine for 1-2 days until the meat lightens which will leech some of the gameyness out. Then u gotta braise/stew em. Chili is great too.

congrats on your first rabbit. This turned into more of a culinary thread than I'd have thought when I first saw the pic. I never ate jackrabbit, based on what people have told me about the meat. nice to know it can be salvaged with good preparation and slow cooking, like most game. But I'll wait till your follow up post before I'd eat it. looking forward to that.
;)

SurfNHuntSD said:
Jacks are great but they need a bit more effort. I recommend a simple salt brine for 1-2 days until the meat lightens which will leech some of the gameyness out. Then u gotta braise/stew em. Chili is great too.

X2... check out these Jack Rabbit fajitas... http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php/topic,5232.0.html

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna try the brine. Btw I'm only wearing gloves because I started to cut it up but then remember to take the picture. Still a total newbie :p

Nice jack. I've had eaten jackrabbit a few times they taste ok but I've only had my dad cook it and he worked in fish markets for 10 years so he knows how to cook. So idk how it would be if your not a good chef. As for gagging when cleaning rabbits I did it the first few times I cleaned em then you get over.( although the only animal I gag over cleaning every now and then is rabbits)

If your gagging on a rabbit. Then you may want to do the no gut technique......Peel the skin on their backs back and filet the back straps off. Then take the fur down past the legs. Filet the meat off the legs......You'll never touch the gut.......Well, unless you gut shoot it....... ;)

ilovesprig said:
If your gagging on a rabbit. Then you may want to do the no gut technique......Peel the skin on their backs back and filet the back straps off. Then take the fur down past the legs. Filet the meat off the legs......You'll never touch the gut.......Well, unless you gut shoot it....... ;)

Never thought of doing it that way. I'll try it on the next rabbit I kill

good work baldkrash. congrats on your first jackwabbit.. I'm happy to see your out hunting and figuring it out on your own. you will be ready for next year heck you might even get an invite to hunt with some of the forum locals on here ;). Keep at it!!

I brined it for 24 hrs but I must have used too much salt. It was edible and all my girls except one ate it and went back for seconds. I wasn't too crazy about it, but overall a good experience. Not sure if I will eat another one.

Baldkrash said:
I brined it for 24 hrs but I must have used too much salt. It was edible and all my girls except one ate it and went back for seconds. I wasn't too crazy about it, but overall a good experience. Not sure if I will eat another one.

Was the flavor too salty or was the texture an issue? How did you actually cook it (with oils/sauces)?

After brining it's a good idea to rinse and pat dry to get the excess off.

Bonejour said:
X2. Also recommend changing the water at least once. It doesn't take much salt for a decent brine, for a jackrabbit I'd say 1 good tablespoon should do it with enough water to cover. Not just for jacks but I've tried it with other game meats too, especially red meats, and works great.

SurfNHuntSD said:
Bonejour said:
X2. Also recommend changing the water at least once. It doesn't take much salt for a decent brine, for a jackrabbit I'd say 1 good tablespoon should do it with enough water to cover. Not just for jacks but I've tried it with other game meats too, especially red meats, and works great.

X2. Your first brine bath is going to pull all the blood out of the meat.

8SteelTown said:
Baldkrash said:

Was the flavor too salty or was the texture an issue? How did you actually cook it (with oils/sauces)?

Too salty. And dry. I grilled on my BBQ.

I may have to give it another try, maybe with cottontail, better brine, rinse, oils etc.

Who knew hunting was so much work?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu