Quail Hunting this Fall in CNF

Richardh30

Jul 24, 2019
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and new to hunting. My grandfather taught me how to shoot skeet as a kid and I've always enjoyed camping and hiking. Looking to put it all together this fall and try my luck at some quail/chukar in Cleveland National Forest. I went out to try and scout a few areas north of the 5 that I found on google maps, but honestly I don't know exactly what to look for. I found a few creeks with running water, some open fields, and a lot of thick brush. Any advise on what an area that might hold birds looks like? Do people typically just walk fire roads when hunting quail, or set off backcountry, or...?

Any advice would be appreciated. Also if anybody is headed out to scout and wouldn't mind me tagging along that would be great, just trying to get a sense of what a 'birdy' area looks like. I'm 43yo male, in good shape, in National City/Chula Vista area.

Thanks!

Reactions: Dawnandusk
No Chukar around here.

For Quail with out a dog on public land the my best strategy is to road hunt until you find a covey then get out and plug a few. A lot of guys won’t like that but trust me it works. I like to cover as much ground as possible while quail hunting unless I am going to some of my spots that historically hold birds.

San Diego county can be a little thick I prefer to get out in the desert. There are a lot of washes in the IV that you drive over park the truck and walk the wash there will be quail in there.

Quail hunting is all about covering ground hike hike hike and then all of a sudden there’s a bunch of quail. At least that has been my experience and we use to kill a ton before big game hunting ruined my life. I run a dog I go to an area I know has birds and I hike until she gets us on them or one busts. Keep in mind you will never find just one quail if you find one more will come.

My poor dog hates my big game hunting.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
check local blm. youd be surprised. if i had a shotgun id have my fair share of quail. but im still persistent with my bow.
do your research and scouting alot of the blm is not accessible due to private roads. get permission look for access. thats were they are around here.

I've practically quit quail hunting in our local mountains because of the decrease in covey numbers over the last few years. But if/when I do, I look for patches of sage that abut oak stands, preferably nearby a creek. If I know where they generally are, I push the brush from higher terrain so they flush into lower ground, since, once they fly upground into the thick stuff they're good as gone. Or give them time to regroup, hit another area, then circle back. I'd rather hit the IV and find the coveys that hang out along the ditches and wildland areas. Dove season is a good time to drive the ditches to scout. My $0.02.

No Chukar around here.

For Quail with out a dog on public land the my best strategy is to road hunt until you find a covey then get out and plug a few. A lot of guys won’t like that but trust me it works. I like to cover as much ground as possible while quail hunting unless I am going to some of my spots that historically hold birds.

San Diego county can be a little thick I prefer to get out in the desert. There are a lot of washes in the IV that you drive over park the truck and walk the wash there will be quail in there.

Quail hunting is all about covering ground hike hike hike and then all of a sudden there’s a bunch of quail. At least that has been my experience and we use to kill a ton before big game hunting ruined my life. I run a dog I go to an area I know has birds and I hike until she gets us on them or one busts. Keep in mind you will never find just one quail if you find one more will come.

My poor dog hates my big game hunting.

Isn't that the truth?? It is hard for me to get excited about a little bird when there are deer and elk to be hunted..!!! :)

Reactions: TheGDog and TRICER
Don't forget you have to buy "Demoncrat" shotgun shells as "LEAD" is now illegal... Even know they allow illegals to cross the border... LMAO

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Actually I enjoy dove hunting.
Darn quail are smart boogers lol
With out a dog it's tough at best.
But sometimes I try. Surfnhunt is right if they get in the thick stuff it's gone lol..
Try find low weeds an brush because then you have a chance.
Get in that chaparral and it's a lost cause
Lol

Dog knows where there is a GIANT quail hangin out, hit um up! .......too soon?

Reactions: Kellendv
Oh boy...

Matty, everyone has to start someplace....And this crowd is about as nice and giving as any....;)

Now Richard....I'm not joking about reading our hunting regulations for the state of Commiefornia….They can be very confusing (kind of like the English lanquage).

We have elk in the state, but not in D-16, we have chukar in the state, but not in San Diego Co., we have antelope in the state, but not in SoCal, we have grey squirrels in California, but they're not legal to shoot in San Diego Co., we have MT. quail in California, but here in SoCal, they're not legal to shoot till Oct. 19th down here....It goes on and on....Please read and ask as many questions as you can....It will save you some serious dollars....Good luck.

ps....Waterfowl hunting is MUCH worse....lol

Reactions: TRICER and Kellendv
Matty, everyone has to start someplace....And this crowd is about as nice and giving as any....;)

Now Richard....I'm not joking about reading our hunting regulations for the state of Commiefornia….They can be very confusing (kind of like the English lanquage).

We have elk in the state, but not in D-16, we have chukar in the state, but not in San Diego Co., we have antelope in the state, but not in SoCal, we have grey squirrels in California, but they're not legal to shoot in San Diego Co., we have MT. quail in California, but here in SoCal, they're not legal to shoot till Oct. 19th down here....It goes on and on....Please read and ask as many questions as you can....It will save you some serious dollars....Good luck.

ps....Waterfowl hunting is MUCH worse....lol
I hear you. Not trying to do anything illegal or unethical, just trying to understand what’s what.

If I understand the comments correctly, I should drive to el centro tomorrow, park on the side of interstate 8, walk into any field and start shooting at anything that moves.

If I understand the comments correctly, I should drive to el centro tomorrow, park on the side of interstate 8, walk into any field and start shooting at anything that moves.

Umm.. no. First off, quail aren't open until mid Oct.. general rule in the IV is don't hunt any posted areas, within city limits, and in row crops. Plus quail won't be in the fields.. look for the major waterways and lesser ditches, where there's brush or wildland adjacent, and drive those trails at dawn to see where the quail are.

Also you might want to scout during the day. With all the canals the iv can get tricky and dangerous.
Also 4x4 is highly recommended.
Lot soft sand and areas that are good to get stuck.

Reactions: Smokey58

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu