Quarantine jack hunt

Feb 5, 2020
f637e107900d14ebb6c06d56a0e10484.jpg

Did some jackrabbits hunting this morning. Probably saw easily 20+ only got 3.

Awesome! I’ve got some 243 ammo to get rid of, makes me want to chase jacks even more. What size shot were you using?

Soak the jack meatb in brine. Salt and vinegar. Use organic mother's vinegar.
It will remove the wild taste.
Strip the meat and cook in crock pot
With your favorite veggies.
Celery, onions, garlic, corrots and my favorite chunk potatoes.

I'm probably the only one on here that'll side with you on eating jacks.. basically, you'll need to cook them low and slow in a stew. Here's some ideas from someone I know.

I can give you the basic recipe to those. Also I recommend doing them in a ragu over pasta... brown them with onions and garlic, then cook them down for AT LEAST 2 hours with tomatoes, herbs, carrots, celery, and red wine (if you want).

Soak the jack meatb in brine. Salt and vinegar. Use organic mother's vinegar.
It will remove the wild taste.
Strip the meat and cook in crock pot
With your favorite veggies.
Celery, onions, garlic, corrots and my favorite chunk potatoes.

I see a lot of recommendations for stew/crock pot type recipes but I don't like how the backstrap turns out...texture gets weird and the taste even worse.
I usually pan fry the backstrap and loins and debone the legs. makes good tacos. I gotta give another shot on the slow cooking methods.

I see a lot of recommendations for stew/crock pot type recipes but I don't like how the backstrap turns out...texture gets weird and the taste even worse.
I usually pan fry the backstrap and loins and debone the legs. makes good tacos. I gotta give another shot on the slow cooking methods.
Yes , the smaller the cuts of meat better..
Try frying in and applying butter over the meat then cook in crock pot. Better with a pressure cooker.
The crock pot takes patience. It has to cook till the meat falls apart.
The pressure cooker cut the time in a third.

Reactions: Amir.fabrizzio
Yellow or red curry with veggies in the crock pot for 5 hours. Even the clowns who's nuts have not dropped yet will like this.

Nice going.

A friend and I spent all day Friday and the morning of Saturday looking for Jacks down in the San Diego desert...we drove from BLM to BLM to BLM....We so a few but it was impossible to shoot them. We came back home empty-handed. Kind of pathetic really.

Amir: I know that exact spot, been hitting that general area since 1988. Nice shooting, healthy Jacks are hopefully a good sign for quail and chukar....

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu