Question for Benellli M2 shooters

Dave3006

Nov 26, 2019
I have shot the Benelli M2 for 15 years. Trap, skeet, upland, and duck hunting. I have 3 of them they all function near perfectly.

EXCEPT, when I am shooting directly overhead straight up duck hunting. I get malfunctions about half the time.

Anyone else experience this?

1. I clean and lube my guns after each hunt.
2. Happens with a variety of 3” shells.
3. I have cleaned and lubed the recoil spring
4. I am mounting the gun good on shoulder
5. All three do it
6. No other malfunctions
7. Everything is factory stock

I've never experienced any malfunctions with my Benelli in the ~13 yrs I've owned it....but thinking out loud, maybe you have a slightly weaker recoil spring ??? Just a thot tho.

Dave,

I shoot Benelli as well...I have never had that issue, but shooting straight up on a inertia driven gun may mean that there's not enough resistance to drive the spring back hard enough...Just a guess...And again, I have not had that issue with my M-2's or SBE's.

ps...You do know that inertia guns are not to be oiled and if you do, wipe COMPLETELY CLEAN...I use nothing but dry silicone spray.

I agree with Steve. It sounds like you are possibly not pulling the gun firmly against your body in this particular shooting position. Recoil/inertia guns should not be shot loose against your body (creates reliability challenges).

And again, agree with Steve. Dry lube is best. It also doesn't attract dirt and dust .

I would also agree with NBK and Steve I own a couple and have had nothing but good performance with them other than a trip that NBK and I took to Argentina 20 plus years ago when we could not get them to work reliably. We came to believe it was either an ammo problem or enviromental. When we came home and went back to the ammo we normally used never had another problem. Suggestion take it out and shoot it in a non hunting situation and try varying the way you mount and shoot the gun and see if something shows itself.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Wow!!! Ilovesprig and the rest may have nailed the problem! I treat my M2 like my AR15 and run it pretty wet. I assumed it was to be lubed. They give you lube with the gun and the Benelli factory video shows them lubing it.

Sounds like that was wrong. That would be awesome if it were user error (lube) on my part.

What dry lube do you like?

Steve and NBK nailed it. While the dry lube may help (its worth switching) if that was the main driver it would probably cause that issue at all angles. That leads me to believe it has something to do with your bracing when shooting overhead. I shoot a Franchi (same system) and dont have that issue.

Wow!!! Ilovesprig and the rest may have nailed the problem! I treat my M2 like my AR15 and run it pretty wet. I assumed it was to be lubed. They give you lube with the gun and the Benelli factory video shows them lubing it.

Sounds like that was wrong. That would be awesome if it were user error (lube) on my part.

What dry lube do you like?
I would say break it all the way down to each part and piece and then do this- I use hardware store mineral spirits to clean ( in Argentina we used diesel fuel) with rags tooth brushes and Q-Tips and then remove that fluid as much as possible. When at home I use the same and rinse with lacquer thinner to remove all the oils and then use Breakfree on a rag and Q-Tips to lubricate and then use rags and Q-Tips again to remove that as much as possible. Dry is good with an inertia recoil Benelli. P.s. with that much lube being used you should probably clean everything from the bolt face all the way to the back end of the action, dirt and cold lube is probably slowing everything down and contributing to if not making the problem. My two cents...

I am sorry to hear of your m2 problems

There is a easy fix, you need four 30 weight ball bearings, some 4-1 oil and ten quarts of antifreeze. Preferably prestone

Oh and a new a400 preferably in optifade camo

Thank me later

Thanks to everyone. I will make the switch to dry lube and test it at my range (WEGC). I have some Federal 3" shells that don't pattern well in my gun. I just found a purpose for them.

I am sorry to hear of your m2 problems

There is a easy fix, you need four 30 weight ball bearings, some 4-1 oil and ten quarts of antifreeze. Preferably prestone

Oh and a new a400 preferably in optifade camo

Thank me later

And, when you switch to the A-400...You may want to start a weigh lifting program as well........... ;)

Reactions: Aeon
not kidding now...

in a 15 year old gun i would replace the spring. Benelli is not exactly known for great springs and even the good ones wear out. i am on my 3rd set of springs on my vintage 1989 super 90 monitfeltro

i shot my old girl the other day out duck hunting with a friend who wanted to try my a400. the benelli is like a broom stick next to the fat girl. They are fast light and thin!

I recently started having similar issues with my SBE3 cycling 3" and 3.5" duck loads. Doesn't seem to be the ammo since it's happened with several brands of shells. Odd that I've never had the issue with dove loads though.. you'd think it'd be the other way around. After season ends I plan on sending it off to Benelli to troubleshoot.

All these guns have problems. Some more than others. You would think that for the cost of these newer guns that would not be. I have friend who bought a Franchi and in would intermittently not cycle 3" or 3 1/12 " shells. He sent it back twice and still did not work so he bought a SBE and hated it. He could not deal with the way it shot high and to the left and also how it would jam his finger whent pulling the trigger. He has sold that and now is shooting the A400. So far he likes it except for the way the it cycles back with the side button

I recently started having similar issues with my SBE3 cycling 3" and 3.5" duck loads. Doesn't seem to be the ammo since it's happened with several brands of shells. Odd that I've never had the issue with dove loads though.. you'd think it'd be the other way around. After season ends I plan on sending it off to Benelli to troubleshoot.
that pretty normal for a weak spring, they are like 10 bucks replace and you should be back to normal. The dove loads do not need the force that the big rounds do to cycle back into battery

Reactions: NBK
that pretty normal for a weak spring, they are like 10 bucks replace and you should be back to normal. The dove loads do not need the force that the big rounds do to cycle back into battery

Wolfe Springs are good...Although, I bought the Sure Cycle stainless steel spring for my SBE 1.5 many years ago and it has been more than reliable.

IMO, the SBE 2 is the best of what Benelli makes in waterfowl pieces...I also have the new SBE 3 and folks say it shoots high left...For me, it shoots like my other 3 SBE's...Float the target and pull the trigger... :blush:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu