Rabbit trapping?

redrino

Sep 1, 2018
I'm heading out for a quail and rabbit weekend and can't find a conclusive answer about trapping. I have a few small game traps for trapping squirrels in my garden, and thought I could do some passive hunting by setting a cage trap overnight in a few places. These are the kind that just cages the animal so I wouldn't have to worry about how long the meat had been there.

However, the only reference I can find to trapping is for fur trapping. Is this allowed for small game rabbit hunting, or is this a non starter?

I have a buddy who was into rabbit trapping for a short while.. he made his own box traps out of wood. The only thing I remember was some specific regs about having to check the traps every 24 hours and having them tagged with your name, etc. Pretty sure he didn't have a trapping license, just a hunting license.

Damn, that's what I thought. Oh well, guess I've gotta harvest them the non passive way. I thought I was being so smart. Thanks for the info, guys!

§4004. Unlawful Methods of Taking

It is unlawful to do any of the following:

(c) Set or maintain traps that do not bear a number or other identifying mark registered to the department or, in the case of a federal, state, county, or city agency, bear the name of that agency, except that traps set pursuant to Section 4152 or 4180 shall bear an identifying mark in a manner specified by the department. No registration fee shall be charged pursuant to this subdivision.

You will need one of these on your traps But if the game warden finds one on “public” land without it he will personally deliver them back to the address on the trap for free.
F91592E1-87AA-40E3-ADDB-90035949E2BF.jpeg

Reactions: redrino

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu