Rabbits and bob cats....

MarceloF

Jun 2, 2017
What's up everyone? I have not posted for a while...a combination of not hunting turkey, getting ready for fire season (I work for a wildland crew) and preparing for my municipal department interviews (trying to become a structural firefighter) has kept me away for the interwebs but I've managed to go hunting rabbits a couple of times.

On the way home I spotted this bob cat on the side of the road. I was tempted to bring is home but #1 it is not legal and # 2 I didn't really want to deal with it, if it was legal to pick it up, I'd probably would have dealt with the disgusting factor.

Can't wait for July 1st to roll around again! Last year's plan worked so sweet! Had my limit by 6:40am!

Had previously tried for them with .22LR but at the location they'd show themselves at like 80yds away. So during that year I elected to get a .17 HMR to take care of that issue. Been loving that rifle ever since!39813

Plan worked flawlessly! Sat up against a scrub oak with the Mesh Kill suit Ghillie Suit, and some Kwik Stix for the .17 HMR to sit upon, a the best vantage point to see where they'd enter into this narrow meadow. So as not to waste the morning, I then went out immediately after dumping them in the cooler and managed to call-in my first a Grey Fox to something like 8yds or so. But it wasn't season for them so couldn't do anything yet.

OH man!... thank you for reminding me of that Truduct! Gonna put in for PTO right now! Eek!

Pssh.. I almost never take PTO. Just opener week for Archery and General Deer season. And that's pretty much it.

That'd be real nice since July 4th happens during that week too. Really break up the monotony!

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Those Copper 22LR are pretty all right. Right about 75-80yds they start to drop off quite a bit. Bought a couple bricks last year.

.17 HMR has ruined .22 LR for me though. Been having soo much fun with the HMR! Those Hornady NTX 15.5gr are PERFECT for small game!

Last edited:
I shoot 17 the boys shoot 22. Well one will be on the 2020 the other will have a 22 or they will both shoot 20ga. Shotgun is just easier with them.

Get you a pair of those Kwik Stiks shooting sticks for the rifle shooting! They are basically like two shock-corded multi-section tent-poles which pivot off each other on one side and don't weigh anything and are super lightweight. Used them extensively for Bunnies and ground Squirrels.

Where I go I have to wait for the bunnies to present themselves at 80yds+, so the Kwik Stiks and the .17 HMR proved to be a perfect little combo making Bunnies do Back-Flips!

Kwik Stiks - Shooting Sticks

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu