RABBITS

MAG 1

Sep 1, 2016
I have never hunted rabbits for food, but after seeing some of the threads I started to check into it. I have a few friends with property who have told they have lots. They also said that you needed to wait until after the frist frost. Whats the deal?

Sounds like the old wives' tale about not hunting rabbits in warm weather. My hunting buddy still lives by this rule and won't hunt rabbits in months that don't end in a R, but I've always hunted them from July 1st thru season's end with no problem. Worst I've ever seen are botfly larvae, which bury under the skin and don't affect the meat. And if you filet them, as I've recently adopted from Sprig's recommendations, you won't see the nasty bits. In short, you're clear to engage the bunnies.

Yesterday I was out in the pasture doing some work and a little cotton tail was just hanging out with me. He had no human fear, but I think he also lives in my barn if that means anything.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yesterday I was out in the pasture doing some work and a little cotton tail was just hanging out with me. He had no human fear, but I think he also lives in my barn if that means anything.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Haha.. makes me think about how when leaving at 4am to hunt I see dozens of cottontails loafin around neighborhoos lawns and then I drive 45 mins east to have a shot at a handful of scared to death wild ones

Reactions: Moves and Bonejour
I have never hunted rabbits for food, but after seeing some of the threads I started to check into it. I have a few friends with property who have told they have lots. They also said that you needed to wait until after the frist frost. Whats the deal?

what the deal is if the Rabbit is sick it will die in winter.... but Hunt summer or winter it makes no difference. Just Inspect the Rabbit well . and then Bonn Appetite...

Sounds like the old wives' tale about not hunting rabbits in warm weather. My hunting buddy still lives by this rule and won't hunt rabbits in months that don't end in a R, but I've always hunted them from July 1st thru season's end with no problem. Worst I've ever seen are botfly larvae, which bury under the skin and don't affect the meat. And if you filet them, as I've recently adopted from Sprig's recommendations, you won't see the nasty bits. In short, you're clear to engage the bunnies.

X-2 :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu