Rattle canning a stock

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
I bought this ATI 12ga pump on a Black Friday deal a few years ago, based on the 870 but a bit heavy for me. I was running DROS on another gun at the time so was like $100 plus tax what the hell. I only use it as a loaner for new upland hunters but want to change the color of the stock to IV brown. Found some aftermarket stocks online but the lipstick costs more than the pig. I think I am going to rattle can it. Anyone have any luck doing a stock from spray paint? Did it hold up or is it considered camouflaged now?

I bought this ATI 12ga pump on a Black Friday deal a few years ago, based on the 870 but a bit heavy for me. I was running DROS on another gun at the time so was like $100 plus tax what the hell. I only use it as a loaner for new upland hunters but want to change the color of the stock to IV brown. Found some aftermarket stocks online but the lipstick costs more than the pig. I think I am going to rattle can it. Anyone have any luck doing a stock from spray paint? Did it hold up or is it considered camouflaged now?
I did spay painted my rifle. Buy some paint at Home Depot. Remove everything from the stock and paint separate, then put everything back together. The key is to remove all oil from pieces to paint. My rifle paint job has endured a lot and still in good shape. Like yours, good gun that gets the job done but spray paint was the further I was going to go with it.

I did spay painted my rifle. Buy some paint at Home Depot. Remove everything from the stock and paint separate, then put everything back together. The key is to remove all oil from pieces to paint. My rifle paint job has endured a lot and still in good shape. Like yours, good gun that gets the job done but spray paint was the further I was going to go with it.

This^^^...I've done a couple and the paint (camo from Wal-Mart)...Stays on great...I did my duck boat too...Solid........ :blush:

.IMG_3761 (2).JPG023.JPG

Never done a gun but I did rattle can my old truck.. I figure a similar process. Sanded various grits, then wet sanded, then washed and wiped down with 3M adhesive cleaner. Sprayed a couple coats of high heat engine paint (bought out every auto parts store on the island just about). I may have done a wet sand in between coats. What a beaut lol.. '98 Tacoma with 37" mudders. Wish I had the pics still.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Will try it, last time I tried to spray paint plastic it beaded up into drops.

Depending on plastic, but beading normally means there was oil or something like that on it...Degrease the best you can...A light coat of gray primer may be a good idea...Start with your stock and hang it...Let dry thoroughly.

I rattle canned a shotgun of mine. It came out a little more green than I wanted but doesn't look bad
20201111_141435.jpg

Reactions: PewPew252
St
Big fan of the old M1 Super 90'
I still own two from my time in Argentina with 7 shot mag extensions for down there and the goose fields locally of the 90's with legal magazines. As solid as an inertia driven shotgun gets. Never owned a super black eagle but hoisted few and still prefer the super 90 for how it handles in my hands. Will slap you for sure when you pull the trigger but it is a great shotgun. Let the hate begin...

Reactions: NBK
Nice, but it must take a lot of skill to get the paint to come out of the can like that.. :joy:

They make tan bed liner in a can now. It's very tough and would probably help with grip on the forend. Paint can get a little slick sometimes.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu