Recommendation on gloves?

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
Looking for a recommendation for hunting gloves... I've been wearing some camo Mechanix gloves (tacticool!) but realized they don't do much for warmth. The problem I've discovered is that, in order to have a good feel on a trigger or bow release, it needs to be on the thinner side.. but the thinner I go I obviously lose warmth, which is the whole point of wearing gloves. Ideas?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My recommendation is you need different gloves for different environments/hunts.

From top left to bottom right:

Kuiu Guide glove (general purpose/wet - cool weather)
Kuiu Peleton 200 glove (cool weather or as a liner in cold weather)
Beretta Soft Skins glove (cool weather shooting)
Beretta Leather/Wool glove (cold weather)
Beretta Calf Skin shooting glove (warmer weather - shooting)
Costco Deer Skin work glove (general work and truck load/unload)
Kuiu Down Glassing mittens (extreme cold little movement)
Cabelas MT50 Gomet mittens (extreme cold 100% waterproof)
Cabelas MT50 Gomet gloves (extreme cold waterproof)

20190106_173624.jpg

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I wear camo liner gloves every single time I go. Whether it's "Just Kill-Me-Now!" Hot, or Cold. They protect your hands from sun burn (i.e. skin cancer). Hide your hands. Help complete the concealment. If you're sitting there in concealment gear, but don't have the gloves on... your hands stick out like a sore thumb! Same with your face. I always wear a mesh full face mask. Hot or Cold. (In the cold I may opt for a camo'd Lycra-type Balaclava instead.) Ever since I've started doing this... I no longer have to fuss with a ThermaCell for the bugs. If you're all camo'd out with a leafy suit or Ghillie Suit... the bugs don't recognize that you're a person and leave you alone. (That is, until you get up to move. They annoyingly zero-in on the movement) While on the sit... I only occasionally have to blow soft puffs of air at the occasional bug that will land on my glasses. During the day ones will come up and land on the outside of your head... but with the leafies or strips of the ghillie suit and how they move in the wind. It's like it just naturally shoos 'em away. They want to get at that sweat/moisture they can smell/detect emanating from you... but the mesh disallows them from being able to. So eventually they realize it's a waste of their time and they leave.

They (the liner gloves) can take you down into Low 50's and maybe upper 40's without it being too bad, if there is not much wind.

I ALWAYS.. Repeat... ALWAYS... bring a pair of Cold Weather gloves in the pack! Seriously... NEVER EVER EVER go out there without a pair of Cold Weather gloves in your pack! All it takes is a ThunderStorm to dump on you with Monsoon rain, followed after by storm winds... and the gear you *thought* should be enough for that Summer month... falls painfully short as you hike out in the dark.

If 40's or below is in the forecast, and there is a bit of a breeze or more. that changes the game. You just have to have the warmer style gloves then. You don't need to be already having cold-shivers adding to the possibility of further-exacerbated buck-fever shivers.

I've noticed I can do a better job of putting up with my hands needing thicker gloves, as long as I've got nice liner socks and nice merino wool socks on. Been using FoxRiver liner socks and "Darn Tough" brand Wool socks. I Like'em a lot.

For background info... the skin on my feet cracks and peels and blisters very easily. I get Athlete's foot very easily if I'm not meticulous about washing and drying in-between toes. I've found that with this combo of socks... I can hike at least TWICE as long before getting any peeling/cracking/blistering! Also... for me... that seam line on socks is my dreaded enemy. With this pairing of socks.... it's just beautiful... I don't get any of that grinding on me from the seams that seemingly every other sock in the Universe has always given me.

My recommendation is you need different gloves for different environments/hunts.

From top left to bottom right:

Kuiu Guide glove (general purpose/wet - cool weather)
Kuiu Peleton 200 glove (cool weather or as a liner in cold weather)
Beretta Soft Skins glove (cool weather shooting)
Beretta Leather/Wool glove (cold weather)
Beretta Calf Skin shooting glove (warmer weather - shooting)
Costco Deer Skin work glove (general work and truck load/unload)
Kuiu Down Glassing mittens (extreme cold little movement)
Cabelas MT50 Gomet mittens (extreme cold 100% waterproof)
Cabelas MT50 Gomet Gloves (extreme cold waterproof)

View attachment 37601
The Man of Many Mittens.. thanks John and all, this is very helpful.

Reactions: NBK
John,

You don't think those are my only gloves do you?......I think I could open my own store.....:joy:

ps....I think my favs are my fingerless and palmless calling gloves....Use them for everything....Zink no longer makes them.....Glad I bought 4 pairs....lol

John,

You don't think those are my only gloves do you?......I think I could open my own store.....:joy:

Steve - you are a senior in knowledge and experience in the field to me and 99% of the folks on this forum. Your posts are valued and heeded. I have no doubt your glove/gear spread is vast. I was merely trying to ad the little value I do to the post. ;)

Reactions: longbowhunter2
A little value, John?.....Hell, you're the owner of this great site.....I was just trying to throw in some humor.....;)

Jason,
I got some gloves from Wal-Mart in Montana.....They're made by Huntworth and are Realtree Max1....I love 'em….Easy to get on and off and have muffs for your fingers, when not needed to shoot.....They are NOT waterproof.

View attachment 37600
Thanks Steve. I used to have a Huntworth hunting jacket that lasted me many years, also from Wal-Mart. Sure wish our Wal-Marts here carried hunting stuff like the one where I used to live.

Jason,

I am terrible when it comes to gloves. I did buy the Kuiu guide gloves this year and I do like them.

My hands still get cold though.

I have a pair of insulated deer skin gloves that I use a lot. Fuzzy inside and keeps my hands very warm. Always stay in the truck. I used them to set decoys in fields and work before hunting.

I really do not like wearing gloves for shooting. I generally take my gloves off and put my hands into a waist hand warmer. I throw a few of the chemical activated "hot hands" in there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: NBK and SurfNHuntSD
Jason,

This is a great question and thread.....Like John said, there's gloves for every kind of job.....And they're damn important in all of them.

Turkey hunting with gloves & without.....Trust me, they can see that hand.

.IMG1298_233.jpg

Jason,

I am terrible when it comes to gloves. I did buy the Kuiu guide gloves this year and I do like them.

My hands still get cold though.

I have a pair of insulated deer skin gloves that I use a lot. Fuzzy inside and keeps my hands very warm. Always stay in the truck. I used them to set decoys in fields and work before hunting.

I really do not like wearing gloves for shooting. I generally take my gloves off and put my hands into a waist hand warmer. I throw a few of the chemical activated "hot hands" in there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Try wearing the Kuiu Peleton or Merino wool as a liner to the Guide gloves. It will turn your Guide gloves into an all temperature system.

Jason,

This is a great question and thread.....Like John said, there's gloves for every kind of job.....And they're damn important in all of them.

Turkey hunting with gloves & without.....Trust me, they can see that hand.

.View attachment 37603
Yep that pic's a good example. Figure a tom will pickup on hand movement if you're working a call or positioning your gun.. that naked hand really contrasts.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu