Recommendations wanted - First rod+reel

MasonP

Nov 21, 2021
So since the best scouting times for big game tend to be morning and night (especially here in hot ass Los Angeles) I figured Id take up fishing to keep me outside and occupied during the afternoons or during the days I cant make it to the mountains.

I am mainly after bass (small and large mouth), trout, catfish, bluegills. Anything that my local lakes and ponds stock as well as whatever I can find up in the mountains. At the moment, not too interested in fly fishing solely due to the lack of availability near my house.

Anyone have some solid rod and reel recommendations as well as maybe some lures? I am headed to a local fishing store (small business, will chat up the fella working as well) but wanted to go in with some ideas of what to look for.

Thanks lads.

Your going to need different setups for both bass and trout, so one rod & reel won't get it. For example, I use a spin setup & bait caster, and fly set up for bass depending where I'm fishing, or just my mood. I use 8lb test for bass, For trout I have four set ups, fly rod, three spin setups one for bait wait and another for jigging and one 4ft ultralight. 2Lb test line for trout. Trout have good eye sight and can see your line. Never go more then 4Lb test for trout which I think is not needed. As for what rod & reel any rod & reel will catch fish. It is just a matter of what you can afford and how much your willing to spend.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Your going to need different setups for both bass and trout, so one rod & reel won't get it. For example, I use a spin setup & bait caster, and fly set up for bass depending where I'm fishing, or just my mood. I use 8lb test for bass, For trout I have four set ups, fly rod, three spin setups one for bait wait and another for jigging and one 4ft ultralight. 2Lb test line for trout. Trout have good eye sight and can see your line. Never go more then 4Lb test for trout which I think is not needed. As for what rod & reel any rod & reel will catch fish. It is just a matter of what you can afford and how much your willing to spend.
Thanks for the response. At this point then, Ill probably just try for bass and whatever else bites the hook while trying for them. I dont want to shell out TOO much cash (as the GF almost killed me with my own rifle when she saw the receipt from earlier this month) but if I walked out of the store with a rod, reel, cheap tackle box and a couple lures and spent under $300, Id consider it a win and not be in fear of my life.

So since the best scouting times for big game tend to be morning and night (especially here in hot ass Los Angeles) I figured Id take up fishing to keep me outside and occupied during the afternoons or during the days I cant make it to the mountains.

I am mainly after bass (small and large mouth), trout, catfish, bluegills. Anything that my local lakes and ponds stock as well as whatever I can find up in the mountains. At the moment, not too interested in fly fishing solely due to the lack of availability near my house.

Anyone have some solid rod and reel recommendations as well as maybe some lures? I am headed to a local fishing store (small business, will chat up the fella working as well) but wanted to go in with some ideas of what to look for.

Thanks lads.

Thanks for the response. At this point then, Ill probably just try for bass and whatever else bites the hook while trying for them. I dont want to shell out TOO much cash (as the GF almost killed me with my own rifle when she saw the receipt from earlier this month) but if I walked out of the store with a rod, reel, cheap tackle box and a couple lures and spent under $300, Id consider it a win and not be in fear of my life.
Just a heads up It's trout season right now. Most lakes are stocking. You could probably find an Ugly Stick rod/reel combo for like $50 at Walmart or basspro. Shakespeare had a decent micro combo for a little cheaper that's a great starter.

Just a heads up It's trout season right now. Most lakes are stocking. You could probably find an Ugly Stick rod/reel combo for like $50 at Walmart or basspro. Shakespeare had a decent micro combo for a little cheaper that's a great starter.
Well well well, how the turn tables all of a sudden...

Y'all are starting to convince me to get both set ups. Im sure taking home a nice trout for dinner would be damn delicious too.

Reactions: Geappetto Hunts
Make sure you balance the rod with the reel , with the reel mounted , see how the balance is with one finger in front of the reel , A rod that sits level is what I shoot for , It will be sensitive and a joy to fish with all day .

Reactions: sportyg
Make sure you balance the rod with the reel , with the reel mounted , see how the balance is with one finger in front of the reel , A rod that sits level is what I shoot for , It will be sensitive and a joy to fish with all day .
Thanks Dale, Ill make sure to add this to my notes for when I go in

After spending some time on this board, it seems like I need to move from LA to SD, I appreciate the offer

Mason,

Good idea...I moved here from the OC in 1974...Moved away in 1981...Couldn't wait to get back in 1991... :blush:

As far as your original question...There is no one outfit that will cover all your freshwater fishing needs and the variables are endless...If you target bass, then a couple of outfits can be bought and it will do most of what your need...A medium priced (under 50 buck) 6 1/2" graphite spinning rod of medium action will do for finesse fishing...Which would be drop shotting (soft plastic), fly lining Senko's, (best colors, green pumpkin/black flake, watermelon/red flake, watermelon/black flake), Ned rigs, and split shotting small plastic like Robo worms (best colors (Aaron Magic/red flake, morning dawn, bold bluegill)...The matching reel should be a 2500 series of brand of choice...I like Shimano...Shouldn't be more than $40.00 for their lower end models...8 lb test is a good choice of line...I still use mono for the most part...I like German lines (Ande, Maxima, or camo Triple Fish).

Bait casting rods & reels will be a little trickier...6' to 7' rod medium action (good backbone) with a Shimano100 or 200 series reel will do most of your needs for spinner baits (white with silver blades best color), crank baits (crawdad or shad colors best), chatter baits (silver/white best), jigs (brown, black/blue flake, with craw trailer of same color), and Texas rigging bigger plastic (1/8, 3/16, or 1/4 oz bullet weight and 1/0, 2/0, or 3/0 wide gapped hooks...I like Gamakasu hooks...You're for the most part are looking at a lot more money in this category.

I have tons of stuff that I will give you, if you ever get down to Escondido...I use to own a bait & tackle store and I think I could open another one... :joy:

Mason,

Good idea...I moved here from the OC in 1974...Moved away in 1981...Couldn't wait to get back in 1991... :blush:

As far as your original question...There is no one outfit that will cover all your freshwater fishing needs and the variables are endless...If you target bass, then a couple of outfits can be bought and it will do most of what your need...A medium priced (under 50 buck) 6 1/2" graphite spinning rod of medium action will do for finesse fishing...Which would be drop shotting (soft plastic), fly lining Senko's, (best colors, green pumpkin/black flake, watermelon/red flake, watermelon/black flake), Ned rigs, and split shotting small plastic like Robo worms (best colors (Aaron Magic/red flake, morning dawn, bold bluegill)...The matching reel should be a 2500 series of brand of choice...I like Shimano...Shouldn't be more than $40.00 for their lower end models...8 lb test is a good choice of line...I still use mono for the most part...I like German lines (Ande, Maxima, or camo Triple Fish).

Bait casting rods & reels will be a little trickier...6' to 7' rod medium action (good backbone) with a Shimano100 or 200 series reel will do most of your needs for spinner baits (white with silver blades best color), crank baits (crawdad or shad colors best), chatter baits (silver/white best), jigs (brown, black/blue flake, with craw trailer of same color), and Texas rigging bigger plastic (1/8, 3/16, or 1/4 oz bullet weight and 1/0, 2/0, or 3/0 wide gapped hooks...I like Gamakasu hooks...You're for the most part are looking at a lot more money in this category.

I have tons of stuff that I will give you, if you ever get down to Escondido...I use to own a bait & tackle store and I think I could open another one... :joy:
I generally have weekdays off work for now, if you feel like getting out on the water, Ill provide the beer and snacks if you are willing to provide the knowledge. Ill bring cash for any gear you are willing to part with.

Ill ensure it is ice cold, Monday-Wednesday are my most available days right now until April, when my schedule here at work flip flops

Are you going to the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up?....I could make up a CARE package of fishin' stuff for you.... ;)

Walmart will get you on the water for not a lot of cash and then after some trips out you get a feel for what you will want to upgrade or change with your setup. A spinning reel will keep you fishing if you are new at it. Conventional reels are my favorite but out of the gate will be frustrating to a new angler, even a seasoned angler, and you will spend more time picking out birds nests then fishing. The conventional reels I use now I bought off other anglers and the reason for selling was the same “I just want to fish instead of messing with this reel all day”

When you buy your lures look at their weight and then look at the weight rating on your rod, you want them to be in the same range or you will be under/over loading the rod and your casting will suffer.

Your reel will have a line rating, rod will have a line and weight rating, lures/sinkers have a weight rating. Match all three and you will achieve fishing zen.

If I was in your shoes today I would stop by Walmart on your way to the nearest fishing hole, buy one of their $35 combos couple pieces of tackle for what your fishing for and hit the water. Do it ten times and you will know exactly where to spend the $$ for your style of fishing.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Walmart will get you on the water for not a lot of cash and then after some trips out you get a feel for what you will want to upgrade or change with your setup. A spinning reel will keep you fishing if you are new at it. Conventional reels are my favorite but out of the gate will be frustrating to a new angler, even a seasoned angler, and you will spend more time picking out birds nests then fishing. The conventional reels I use now I bought off other anglers and the reason for selling was the same “I just want to fish instead of messing with this reel all day”

When you buy your lures look at their weight and then look at the weight rating on your rod, you want them to be in the same range or you will be under/over loading the rod and your casting will suffer.

Your reel will have a line rating, rod will have a line and weight rating, lures/sinkers have a weight rating. Match all three and you will achieve fishing zen.

If I was in your shoes today I would stop by Walmart on your way to the nearest fishing hole, buy one of their $35 combos couple pieces of tackle for what your fishing for and hit the water. Do it ten times and you will know exactly where to spend the $$ for your style of fishing.
This sounds very doable, and I can even stop in on my way home from work on Sunday to be ready to go Monday morning.

This sounds very doable, and I can even stop in on my way home from work on Sunday to be ready to go Monday morning.

You really need to go with someone that has knowledge of our local lakes, fisheries, and equipment...There's 100's of lures out there...90% are a waste of money...A drive to Escondido could save you a lot of money...I have Wal-Marts & Turner's nearby... :joy:

Watch some fishing shows...Not a big fan of Bill Dance, but he does have some pretty good instructional programs... :blush:

Wal-Mart $5.00 rod, a $30.00 Wal-Mart Shimano 2500, camo 8 lb test mono...5" Green pumpkin skinny Senko...1/0 Gami wide gap hook...The whole set-up under 50 bucks... ;)

.IMG_1771.JPG

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu