Redding Master Hunter

Josh S.

Jul 22, 2016
All cases are deburred before full sizing. My new redding FL die is leaving marks that go around the whole body. My hornady never left marks like this. Is this normal?
918dd2524cbf629d97ea39a6a64c8d31.jpg
d02ccd0d5b0e22e5dd2810bfa1f1028e.jpg

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

cant tell exactly what the marks are.
did you look inside the die, is it smooth and pretty? what are you running for lube on your cases?
are the once fired or new? what make of brass.
will one chamber in your rifle with out being sized?

cant tell exactly what the marks are.
did you look inside the die, is it smooth and pretty? what are you running for lube on your cases?
are the once fired or new? what make of brass.
will one chamber in your rifle with out being sized?

It feels smooth but I can see tooling marks when they bored it out. Im running hornady unique case lube. Brand new ADG cases and they chamber fine.

lube should be ok, imperial is what i use. Do not laugh, when i do not care and i am in a rush Oneshot works.

the tooling marks are not ideal but not strange either. even on my whidden dies you can see some marks. I broke out my scope and redding dies are not finished as nice but not a lot lot worse.

run a q tip around the inside of the die and feel for anything that grabs it.

punt...... clean it out super good so there is zero anything left in the die. lube up a case with only a tiny amount of lube on the whole body and see if it does it again. You can not use a lot of lube it messes up the world when you do.

if the cases chamber its not them. so it means its got to be the die. Take it over to nbk and have him look at it. might be nothing

lube should be ok, imperial is what i use. Do not laugh, when i do not care and i am in a rush Oneshot works.

the tooling marks are not ideal but not strange either. even on my whidden dies you can see some marks. I broke out my scope and redding dies are not finished as nice but not a lot lot worse.

run a q tip around the inside of the die and feel for anything that grabs it.

punt...... clean it out super good so there is zero anything left in the die. lube up a case with only a tiny amount of lube on the whole body and see if it does it again. You can not use a lot of lube it messes up the world when you do.

if the cases chamber its not them. so it means its got to be the die. Take it over to nbk and have him look at it. might be nothing
Talked to Redding and I cleaned it with some bore solvent like they said and I didn't get anything out except some graphite at the top of the die. Cleaned out the solvent and ran a q tip with case lube inside the die, felt nothing

It’s hard to tell from the photos. I would say if your seeing any groves vertically you have debris in your die.
If you are seeing a faint dulling where the die body contacts the brass I would say you can expect some change in appearance. I attached a photo of some ADG brass that I have resized, it too has some change in sheen or appearance after resizing. The line stops at the junction where the die body is no longer contacting the brass.
i have myself made the mistake and got debris in a die that would scratch my brass vertically. I polished it out with some 1200 sand paper. But that was my mistake not the die construction. Hope this helps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Morgan1776 and BBH
Additionally I use Hornady one shot, and imperial die wax. Depending on which particular round. One shot works great for most brass, however if you have a particular round that try’s to stick in the die I will use the wax. The wax is far slicker imo

It’s hard to tell from the photos. I would say if your seeing any groves vertically you have debris in your die.
If you are seeing a faint dulling where the die body contacts the brass I would say you can expect some change in appearance. I attached a photo of some ADG brass that I have resized, it too has some change in sheen or appearance after resizing. The line stops at the junction where the die body is no longer contacting the brass.
i have myself made the mistake and got debris in a die that would scratch my brass vertically. I polished it out with some 1200 sand paper. But that was my mistake not the die construction. Hope this helps
Good info . I spoke with Jay @ Redding and he told me to ship it back to him for a detailed inspection and a new polish. Never will buy another brand of die, friendly and great customer service.

Reactions: NBK
Good info . I spoke with Jay @ Redding and he told me to ship it back to him for a detailed inspection and and a new polish. Never will buy another brand of die, friendly and great customer service.

Redding makes great stuff no question, most all the manufacturers have several different dies from entry level, to master sets. All have great customer service. Forster is what I try to find as they tend to be priced a little better. There really are some smart dudes floating around in here when it comes to this stuff.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu