Reloading question

robinhd

Aug 3, 2016
I am reloading 16 gauge Federal hulls with Federal 209A primers. Have you had issues with the primers not seating correctly ? The press I am using is a MEC single stage. I usually reload 12 gauge AA hulls with no issues on another MEC press.In the photo ,the primer is not flush with the hull.

Attachments

• IMG_1359.jpeg
    IMG_1359.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
define not seating correctly? photos help

If it happens frequently, make sure the primer post assy. hasn't become misalign. Maybe a weak spring or primer seat pad issue.

Which MEC single stage do you have? Does it have a resizer (MEC Sizemaster or MEC JR)?

well don't know about reloading , but precision mechanical assembly were issues happen can be easy or complicated.
misalignment of the parts or tools.
mfg defect, wrong size componets.
defective tools, causing misalignment.
if the holes a to small or caps to large are an other possibility.

inspect the shell holes & the cap diameters metal to metal size is a lot of press for soft material.
yes take pictures of the setup and before and after assembly , measure caps and holes.
maybe something simple as light lube, or a burr causing interference.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu